Lenovo Y580 - a good buy?

awp07

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking to buy a new laptop for school. I need it to be pretty fast (I'm an engineering student and need it to run programs like AutoCAD and SolidWorks). Also, I will use it to play some games. My budget is most likely about $900-1000. When looking in that price range, I kept coming to the Lenovo Y580. Right now, I can buy one from Lenovo for about $980 after tax, and it comes with a core i7 3630qm, nvidia geforce gtx 660m 2gb gddr5, fhd 15.6" screen, 500 gb 7200rmp hard drive, bluray drive, and backlit keyboard. I'm really tempted to buy it, but I'm wondering if there are any comparable laptops out there in the same price range that I have completely missed. Another question: Would it be better for me to wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to find a better deal on this type of computer, or is this a good enough deal that I should go ahead and spring for it now?

Thanks.

Solution
The lowest I have ever seen the y580 go for is $849 for the non fullHD model. They are always running deals but I don't think you are going to get it for much less than $900 fullHD or not. Black Friday may be a little different, but the y580 is one of their best selling laptops so I don't see them going too much lower as it is already selling well at it's current price ranges.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Yup. I'm an Engineering major myself and a lot of my friends use Lenovo laptops

airanp

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

The Y580 is the best laptop in the sub $1000. It is the only one that I know of with a GTX 660m for less than $1000. Plus an added bonus is the build quality of the lenovo laptops. I have a z585 and love the sturdy build and the keyboard. Had I had more money to play with I would have purchased the y580 myself.

seriousgamer

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
The Y580 is top quality build. Im also searching for great laptop deals. Its the best one that I've found so far but what I dont like is the glossy screen! Get it if you're ok with glossy. Im reconsidering it tbh. I never go outside much and Im beginning to question whether a matte would make such a difference for me.

But definitely for that price the Y580 is the best deal.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Its the best laptop in your price range. I work with lenovo and am not impressed with the build quality, I have not used the y580 but for the price its a good machine. But I think the 950 model does not have the backlit keyboard

awp07

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

If the Y580 is the best deal for a sub $1000 laptop right now, do you think I'll be able to find a better price on it if I wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday? I figured that they are trying to sell off their old stock, since they are releasing new computers with Windows 8, so do you think the Y580's will still be a better price (and still on sale) than right now?

airanp

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
The lowest I have ever seen the y580 go for is $849 for the non fullHD model. They are always running deals but I don't think you are going to get it for much less than $900 fullHD or not. Black Friday may be a little different, but the y580 is one of their best selling laptops so I don't see them going too much lower as it is already selling well at it's current price ranges.

Solution

jonathan_569

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

I have checked the y580 in a store and i could confirm that it does have backlit keyboard... to turn it on is Fn + Spacebar if i'm no mistaken