Laptop shuts down when the temperature is cold

valcs

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
I have a weird problem. With my Asus U56e win7 laptop. It keeps shutting down when it is cold in the room. Ii i want it to run for a longer time i have to run some benchmark or processor testing utilities. Then it " warms" up and does not shut down until it cools again. The shutdon is random it is no trigered by a concrete temp. I tried to boot from ub key Min Linux, but that one restarted 3-4 min after bootup. Does anyone have an idea what is going on here? Thank you. :eek:

valcs

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Hi John,
I think i found the issue/issues. I think it is the video card and perhaps the wireless. I have the wireless off (i use it hardwired to watch HBOGO and log coffee roasting curves :) ). It was working better but still shot down time to time.

What really helped was when I lowered the resolution. Try that.

I feel that there is serious crash at one point when the video card communicates with certain parts of the memory.

So my advice is first try to lower your screen resolution and see how that influences the issue and if that persists. Try to disable and remove the wireless and lower the resolution.

good luck, let me know about your development I am curious. Also do not let this rule your life! it ruled mine for a while :)

Rodney McDonell

Estimable
Aug 13, 2014

I think I might have the same problem. Here's a description of the things that's happened in the last month or so.

I first noticed problems with wifi. Then I noticed problems with rebooting and seemingly random intervals. I found a video on youtube that suggests wifi may be fixed by pulling out the card and putting it back in - this seems to have worked. It's been a long time since my wifi has stopped working, but i'm still getting the reboots.

I've noticed that the reboots happen straight after power on more so than after the computer is running for a while. Specifically, I've noticed that the longer it is on, the more stable or the less the reboots occur. I had thought it was related to X11, but the reboots when X11 is not running.

Reboots occur regardless if on power or battery.

Last night was particularly interesting. I didn't get any reboots at all. I suspect this was because one of my larger partitions required a scan after not being scanned for 31 days. I'd had skipped this the day before because I was testing out theories related to the rebooting, today I just wanted to use the Laptop so I let it run for about 20 minutes. I didn't get a reboot the entire night - I was watching online videos all night, which kept the cpu going.

This made me think that it has something to do with the cold weather. This would coincide with the onset of cold weather about a month or so ago which is when the reboots started.

I'm not a hardware guy, but I figure, if there was a fracture in any of the soldering on the MB, in cold weather this crack could enlarge enough to prevent electrons from crossing the gap, causing a fatal reboot, whilst in warmer conditions, the soldering expands closing the gap.

That's all I got.

I know for a fact that lowering the resolution wont help me, nor turning off my wifi, as the machine has reboot when the iwlwifi module is not loaded (The wifi driver).

Has there been any updates on this? I'm going to need this for some courses i'm doing and also for some art/craft stuff. Maybe it's time to get a new one? Which would suck as it's perfectly fine!

valcs

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
My solution was to toss the laptop into garbage and buy a Macbook PRO. I spent so much time trying to fix that thing that if I would charge myself salary I would have a full time job. I am sorry. Probably this isn't what you wanted to hear.

OK I still use the Asus to watch TV. I connected it to my Plasma and watch xfinity f.e. or play gamecube games via Dolphin emulator.

Rodney McDonell

Estimable
Aug 13, 2014
Yer not really what I wanted to hear. I'd really hate if it was unusable. I mean, it's a good machine apart from the rebooting. It's relatively speedy, good amount of memory. It's only 3 years old, if that. My last machine, a desktop lasted for about 8 years. I still haven't thrown out that desktop!

TRENDING THREADS