Laptop for gaming under 650 dollars and below

drakenchamp

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Hello,
i would like to ask some help for buying a laptop under 650 dollars and below. coz my mom will hopefully buy me one. ;)
i am very meticulous on specs specially on running high end graphics for gaming and also for fast processor laptop.

the specs i wanted are here:

PREFERRED BRAND: ACER,HP,ASUS,SONY VIAO, DELL, LEONOVO.. actually all brand but NOT FUJITSU and TOSHIBA coz its not available in my country.

SCREEN SIZE: must atleast 15.6" or above. i would like a 17" or above but i cant find one that meets my budget. hope u can ;)

PROCESSOR: atleast intel i5 and above class.

GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA that is enough for running games in medium to high quality like PROTOTYPE 2, DEVIL MAY CRY 4, NBA2K12, CALL OF DUTY, ASSASINS CREED, DOTA 2, DIABLO 3, BATTLEFIELD. love to run all mentioned games in high setting ;).

BATTERY LIFE: i just dont CARE about it.

STORAGE: 500GB and above

i have actually saw some laptops that you might check and review and tell me if this is a good laptop.

*ACER ASPIRE 5755G
*ASUS N53SV

ahm... this laptop will be my buddy for the rest of my gaming career life. LOL... coz we cant afford to buy a laptop yearly. i need to have work. im still studying for about 6 years in college and still i dont think that ill be graduating this school year. well, hope you could consider me and waste some of your time helping me. thank you... ;)

ittimjones

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
$650 is a lot on the cheap side. The closest thing that I can recommend though is a Lenovo.

The Lenovo Y570 is $650, but I don't think that 555M can play any of those games very well.
The Lenovo Y580 is $850, and I would recommend that. The 660M should be able to play those games at medium settings.

Rockdpm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Yea sorry to tell you kiddo but.. unless you can add another 2-300$ you won't even touch the gaming Laptop price line at 650$... Most laptops you find in that range wil maybe play some of those games on low. Laptop gaming can be more expensive than actual Desktop PC Gaming. To get the same performance and same settings as a high end desktop to max out games your looking at least a 1200-1500$ price tag now.. let me show you your options

Open Box Republic of Gamers Core I7 laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230141R&name=Laptops-Notebooks

Acer with a GT 630M and a Core I5: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215407&name=Laptops-Notebooks

Rockdpm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

I'm in college as well. I know how it is. Money is tight when you gotta pay for classes. The ASUS one you linked would be decent but i wouldn't count on it maxing the game out...Maybe some medium and mixed low settings.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

Rockdpm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Correction, GT 650 but yea I see what you mean.. Cool find btw I had no idea you could get a custom low end laptop from HP and tech it out!.

friarruiz

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I just got y570 2 months ago. Doing everything thing I need for gaming when not at home. $630 is what I paid for it. D3 and LOL are fine. But then i have a big desktop rig for the real daily use.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

Frankly, you're wasting your time. Laptops are not portable desktops. They are MUCH less powerful for the dollar. You have no chance of being satisfied with the gaming performance of a $650 laptop. Actually, it would take very careful component selection to make a gaming desktop for that price. My advice is to use a laptop ONLY for those applications that require portability and concentrate the gaming horsepower in a good desktop.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

In response to this... Laptops are not portable desktops. They are MUCH less powerful for the dollar.

@$650 they are not that much less powerful because laptops come with a mouse, keyboard, motior+speakers, and os. All this will total to be around 300. and a $650 is about a $350 desktop.

@OP you need an amd A8 or A10 with a dedicated card. It might be in your budget and it may play your games I think hp has one

dv6z-7000 series with the A8 processor and the 7730M If you can afford the A10 go for it this is the "best" specs in a laptop for gaming at your price range.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

You're comparing apples to oranges. Having a built in monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers & OS are items to be considered when judging the overall value of any computer. However those items are common to all computers and do not separate more from less powerful computers. The fact that you must replace those things every time you replace your laptop makes any laptop even less of a good value. Computational power is determined by CPU, GPU, RAM, storage method & chipset. Also, the CPU & GPU get very hot which is where laptops fail miserably and always will because of their compactness. Laptop performance will always trail far behind a similarly priced desktop. Your logic simply fails in all respects.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Also, the CPU & GPU get very hot
Yes laptops do get hot which causes the parts to wear out faster.

The fact that you must replace those things every time you replace your laptop makes any laptop even less of a good value.
I agree

wever those items are common to all computers and do not separate more from less powerful computers.
true but without those items it is hard to fit a computer into this budget and you would have to do the comparison.

I was saying that some people who have 650 to spend. and do not have anything will be hard pressed to get a better computer for the money, they may be able to get a comparable desktop.

But when you factor in that most people will buy some periferals for the laptop it will be a much worse value

Diminishing returns I would say starts and very rapidly kicks in at about 700 and that is below the price point where in my opinion gaming starts to become viable(950). this is because the monitor ect, cost a significant chunk of the computer before 700 and the parts you would be buying are subpar parts. The 650 desktop builds that I tried to come up with make me cringe.

@the OP I suggest the hp. But I do agree with ram1009 a desktop, if you have ANY peripherals, will make you much happier for gaming purposes.

EDIT: PS apples and oranges are both fruit :)

SemperFortis09

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
I have a SICK gaming laptop for sale.. Exceeds your specs.. email me for specs and photo! You'll love the price too! I'm in the military and will not have time to play on deployment.

good.adam@yahoo.com