Replacing ram question

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Hi guys,

Ive had a problem with my laptops ram (one of the module was faulty), and i have decided to add some ram up to 8 GB (the faulty modeule was 4 gb, there is another working moduel 4gb, brand elixir).

The thing is, i have "heard" that ram modules are not as compatible with laptops as in desktops.

So the question is:

I have the following model:
MSI GT780DX (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-MSI-GT780DX-i71691BLW7H-Notebook.66917.0.html is the closest model to it).

I want to add 2 modules of either 4gb or 8 gb (8 total or 16 total) of better brand and higher end ram.
Can i use any ram module that is compatible with my cpu (i5-2430M), or it has to be a specific model?

I hope i explained myslef well.

ahnilated

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006

The user posted you an alternate idea, he had no clue you were in Poland being you didn't specify that. Your response back was somewhat rude.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Maybe i do not understand.
Does his link means that i can use any of those ram modules in my laptop?
I didnt mean to be rude, just focus the thread. I mean, i still dont know if i can add any ram module that will be DDR3//1066-1600//So-DIMM//203 pin, or if only a certain model of module can be used.

Crony

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

His answer is really all you need; you probably did not mean to be rude, but you came off as it 110%. You can use any "203-pin DDR3 SODIMM" module. A simple search from your usual PC part shopping site/store will net you what you need. Search for laptop memory, sort by pins, choose 203-pin, go from there. As far as speeds go, just ensure they match what your mainboard in the laptop supports.

In refrence to your remark on '''i have "heard" that ram modules are not as compatible with laptops as in desktops'''--you should be fine as far as compatibility is concerned if you stick with the 203-pin mentioned above; but be weary, the more memory you have, the hotter your system will become and the more power it will pull from your battery when not plugged in, so you will have a faster laptop, but it will drain the battery even faster.