Acer aspire 5532, working fine, replaced lcd ribbon with one for web cam, now da

bcock1

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
acer aspire 5532, working fine, replaced lcd ribbon with one for web cam, now dark screen, can barely make out the images. Hooked to an external monitor and displayed fine. Installed the driver for the web cam and alls well on external monitor. How do I correct the dark screen issue. I dont want to use a external monitor and I dont think its the screen. I removed it and hooked to a dell inspiron and the screen lite up as it should. Have replaced the inverters twice so I know thats not the issue.

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
like when you say "with one for a web cam" what does that mean? Most modern LCD panels for laptops use a fairly standard 40 PIN ribbon cable, but just because it works fine on a Dell (I'm assuming you tested the 'web cam' ribbon cable on your dell laptop to rule out bad cable) doesn't mean it will work on the Acer LCD. Dell could source their LCD's from a company that makes them more proprietary than from where Acer sources them.

If it was working fine, why did you have to replace the ribbon cable to begin with, did you want to add a web cam? The Acers I've seen have a separate data cable for the web cam, though I have never seen a 5532 apart.

Dry

bcock1

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

The question as to why I was changing the cable is that I wanted to add a web cam to it. The web cam works fine, the screen works fine and since posting this I replaced the mother board and now everything works fine. Now my question is why did the other motherboard not display on the screen when the new mother board is the exact same and it does display. The old mother board worked perfectly when connected to a external display, web cam and all. Just that you could barely make out what was on the laptop screen.

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
hmm... I don't know... sucks you had to swap boards...

so:
1. everything worked fine
2. install new cable to get webcam working
3. webcam works but the laptop display didn't
4. swap motherboards and everything works fine?

just to get me order straightened out

The external display has little to do with the output that runs the screen... maybe the connector that hooks to the MB for the laptop display got damaged or the pins got mooshed (real technical term) or something...

its a long shot but it can happen, like if it was put in crooked. I know that every time I've taken apart one of my laptops the SCREEN CONNECTOR is the one part I can NEVER seem to seat right...

Not that I'm bitter or anything, it just means that I don't discover its not seated correctly until I get everything back together and then I have to take it all back apart...

Dry