SSD into older laptop?

flamenader

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
I have an older Acer laptop that is sorta bogged down and becoming slow. I want to put a new SSD into it to bring it back to life. Since windows is on the HDD, how do i transfer it over to the new SSD? Or do i have to buy a new copy of windows?

Thanks

Solution

Good idea.
If your laptop is not really ancient, it should have a sata hard drive.

If the new ssd can hold the contents of the previous hard drive, the easiest thing is to clone it.
Intel, I know lets you download a ssd migration tool which is a modified version of acronis true image that will clone your hard drive to the intel ssd.
Then, you just replace the hard drive with the ssd and you are good.
To do the cloning, you can attach the ssd to a usb port. Some ssd packages...

dodgyx666

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

First thing you wanna do is make sure you have SATA connection type to even be able to use a SSD. And you'll wanna reinstall windows ideally.

flamenader

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012

I can connect it with a SATA connector. Now with windows, will I have to get a new product code?

geofelt

Distinguished

Good idea.
If your laptop is not really ancient, it should have a sata hard drive.

If the new ssd can hold the contents of the previous hard drive, the easiest thing is to clone it.
Intel, I know lets you download a ssd migration tool which is a modified version of acronis true image that will clone your hard drive to the intel ssd.
Then, you just replace the hard drive with the ssd and you are good.
To do the cloning, you can attach the ssd to a usb port. Some ssd packages include a usb to sata adapter.
Or. remove the hard drive and install it in your desktop along with the ssd and do the cloning there.

No activation will be required.
Even if you need to reload the os from recovery dvd's, or even do a clean install, the oem activation code supplied with the laptop will be sufficient. No new copy of windows is needed.

Solution

flamenader

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you so much