Aspire not working in dual-channel mode

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I put 2 sticks mushkin 1600mhz 4gb ram into my acer aspire laptop, when both channels are populated the laptop will crash, without a BSOD it just restarts or turns off. I've tested each stick with memtest in each individual slow and it was fine, but memtest got an unexpected error with both in and then it crashed again. Is it more likely this is a problem with the ram or the laptop? I don't really have a way to test the ram outside this laptop.

What is the model number of your Aspire laptop?

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
As flank is, I'm curious to know the model number and what CPU you have in the laptop. Some most CPU's except the i7 can only support, for example, running at a 1066 speed... so it might just be that the ram sticks can't work well with the CPU you have. Then again, I don't know about the new 3rd gen Intel CPUs?

Dry

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
v3-571, cpu is an i3-3110m
As far as I know Ivy-bridge based mobile i3's should be capable of utilizing ram at 1600mhz, and the laptop worked fine with a single stick in it. I only ram 1 pass on each stick, I suppose I could run more but it takes awhile and I was doing it at work