What should I do about my broken laptop speakers?

TomWatsonB

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Hello,

Someone kicked my computer while the headphones were in the jack, damaging my expensive headphone. It also seemingly caused the laptop to believe that there are always headphones in the jack. Also, it sounds strange when I listen with my headphones, unless I fiddle with the connector. What should I do? Do you think I need a new jack? What is this called? How much do you think it would cost? Should I just live with without speakers? It's a Lenovo win 7 i5. Less than a year old.

dodgyx666

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Check with a repair shop, prices can vary.

TomWatsonB

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
I live in Germany, so it is even more difficult. I have no idea where to go, although I guess I can figure it out. I already have USB headphones. They came with my Rosetta Stone. I am just wondering if it is worth the money to try to get the speakers fixed... Any ballpark figure?

nukemaster

Distinguished
Its a 3.5mm stereo jack(Its a TRS jack too), but they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. This may be some work to find the right one.

Also some jacks have a switch in them, so I am not sure if your uses a switch or some kind of software.

Mouser Electronics or similar(digikey) may have what you need, but you will need to know EXACTLY what you need.

TRENDING THREADS