HELP!! Connected to internet but no browsing capabilities! :(

Oct 2, 2012
I am connected to the internet wirelessly with an "excellent" connection; however, when I open up IE or Firefox I receive an error message that I'm not connected to the web.

I've tried everything.. every internet setting.. taking away all the security, etc.. and nothing helps.

I just saw in another thread to go to Start>Run>CMD
and then to type in "ping 72.30.2.43
I did that and the request timed out 4 times in a row.

How do I fix this?
All my other computers are connected wirelessly, so I know it has to be something with the computer.

Solution
go to control panel, network settings, network devices, right click on the wireless adapter, go to ipv4 settings and set the ip and the other option on the bottom as automatic

alvine

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
go to control panel, network settings, network devices, right click on the wireless adapter, go to ipv4 settings and set the ip and the other option on the bottom as automatic

Solution

nukemaster

Distinguished
If you have the wrong WPA key, you can also have this problem, I would first see if you can access your router by its IP(ie 192.168.X.1 . The X can be 0,1 or 2 on most routers), if you can not, you may have a problem with the wireless connection it self.

In that case, I would connect with a wire to ensure you at least have the system working. If not, you have to then ensure that your internet it self is working or that your computer does not have a setting issue/maleware causing this.

Oct 2, 2012
Thank you!!!! That was the trick for my home network. Going to put back my security settings to normal.

I could've sworn I tried that on my work network, but it kept going in and out. Perhaps too many people were connecting at once there?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help. :) <3