Laptop turns on then shuts off few seconds later.

evi8n

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Hello,
I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo laptop (i'll check the exact model i'm at work now) and it does exactly that..it was on, working fine and at one point it turned off and never on again. it turns on,the fan starts but after a few seconds it shuts down, turns on again does the same and turns off for good. I've seen this behavior before and it was a burnt motherboard, but that was on a desktop.
The thing is, I have no money to buy a new laptop so I have to do everything I can to fix it, I also don't have money to take it to someone so i'd like to try myself before i have to pay.
So what's the first step I should take? Open it and..?
Thanx in advance!
Evi

It sounds like an overheating issue. There may be videos on youtube on disassembly for your machine... You'll first want to dust out the laptop (a soft brush along with compressed air can be used) paying close attention to the heatsink/fan(s). After cleaning, reassemble and try to start up. Hopefully, that'll be all it needs.
If after you clean and reassemble it, it still will not start, describe the sequence of lights that flash when turned on.
You may want to look into a cooling pad for the laptop and/or download a monitoring program like coretemp to watch your temps. Also, it should always be kept on a flat hard surface when turned on.
Hope it helps some