Laptop/ultrabook for web developer

annefng

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hello,
In the midst of the abundace of technology, which ultrabook/laptop (wins) is suitable for using multiple programs (Adobe Web premium) and have good keyboard. I just don't know which graphic cards or motherboards are good enough for what I do. But good performance and durability is a must.

For a developer - the one with largest screen you can afford, in dimension (I would not go below 15.6"), pixels (anything above crappy 1366x7698 is OK, full HD would be the best), and graphics support.

As for other parameters - get x64, with 6-8gb RAM, and good / fast harddrive. If you can swalow the price and capacity of SSD, go for it, otherwise look for 7200rpm harddrive.

When not used as a laptop - invest in good monitor / comfortable keyboard and mouse. Your eyes and wrists will thank you!

annefng

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I travel frequently, therefore buying a desktop computer is not an option and travelling with heavy laptop neither. Is it possible for a lightweight laptop or an ultrabook (win 7) to suit the criteria of the above?And can you recommend any? I was going to go ahead with intel core i7 3612QM with GTX 660M card. What do you think? But it weighs 3 kilos.

annefng

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
No gaming. Just for work and lots of reading and presentation with video and pictures editing. Just would like to buy a laptop or an ultrabook that fits in the criteria. In a whirl with all the choices and would like to get the right one that lasts for 7 years.

annefng

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I've found this on a German website:

Lenovo idepad y580 with i7 3610QM, 8GB RAM, 16:9 res, 5200rpm, 1TB harddrive, GTX 660M = 1079 euros. All sounds so good to be true. I like the keyboard but the heat and the weight and also the bulkiness is a no no. I have read reviews also about the wireless card which is very slow.

My budget is only 1200 max. So, please help if you think there is other options

airanp

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

You don't need a GTX 660m for web development if you are looking to cut weight and heat. When you say 1200 max, is that euros or us dollars?

airanp

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
At any rate, euros or us dollars, I would suggest taking a look at the lenovo Thinkpad T series. You get the industry leading build quality of a Thinkpad and you can customize it with a lot of the features that you are looking for like i7 quad core, fullHD screen and so on. It's going to get a little pricy but in my opinion for a portable business centric laptop, it is going to be the best option out there.