Using desktop tower with laptop

G

Hello,
I have a desktop PC and a laptop. I would like to get rid of my desktop to make more space. I tend to use my laptop most often but there are files on my desktop hard-drive I will want to refer to from time to time. What is the easiest way of doing this? i.e. can I (when needed) attach my tower to my laptop and search for a file on tower hard-drive and then copy it to my laptop. My ultimate aim is to one day never need to refer back to my tower as I will have everything I need on my laptop.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The solution I would suggest is either an external hard drive, or a hard drive enclosure for the desktop's hard drive. That way, you'll have all the files on one small device, and it also would make a good backup solution.

G

Thanks for advice. However, I don't know what files I will want until I want them hence I wondered if I can just hook up tower to my laptop when necessary.

Thanks for advice. However, I don't know what files I will want until I want them hence I wondered if I can just hook up tower to my laptop when necessary.

Hi :)

Connect the two as part of a HOMEGROUP (assuming you are using Windows 7 on both).. easy to transfer files when you wish...

If you are thinking of getting rid of the tower... dont forget laptops do NOT play games well (if at all depending on which laptop)

All the best Brett :)