Laptop for Game Art & Design

Askia32

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I'm looking at buying a new laptop in the next couple weeks. I already have a gaming rig at home that can handle all the applications I need it to with ease. The problem is I work a lot, and both of my jobs give me a lot of time to do my school projects. So having a laptop to use while at work would be amazing.

1. What is your budget? 1000 - 1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Preferably 15inch, but can do 17inch if must

3. What screen resolution do you want? At least 1600 X 900, preferably higher

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? 4 hours would be great, but not a high priority

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? If possible Guild Wars 2 medium-high, and at the very least, League of Legends on High. I already have a gaming desktop so not a big deal.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Maya, Zbrush, Mudbox, UDK, and Photoshop CS6. Oh, and Adobe Premier

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500g, not a big priority since I have a 1tb external and a desktop.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Trustworthy and good deals is all I care about.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? The typical laptop life, 2-3years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Does not matter

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

None

13. What country do you live in? America

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate the community on this website, you guys are amazing.

Askia32

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
battery?
If you want only a low level gaming, you can go with the Lenovo T530 with the screen upgrade or
with the new Sony Vaio S 15.5"

http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/gaming-laptops-models/sony-vaio-s-svs151190x/ - the price just went up but maybe it will be back down. With FullHD IPS screen it's excellent for work and for 80$ you can get the GT 640M LE upgrade

Just making sure, do you think the GT 640m LE can handle programs like Maya and UDK?