Xp install or setup won't run on Acer Travelmate 4670 (4672wlmi) - stops as blin

pvlier

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
I've got a secondhand Acer Travelmate 4670WLMI with winxp installed. The installed winxp hung when booting so I figured I'd install a fresh copy. I tried booting up the winxp cd (xp pro sp3). It starts loading drivers (after the 'press f6 for add drivers) and after loading them it waits a few secs and then turns into a black screen with blinking cursor. Normally the screen 'welcome to windows xp setup' should show if I'm correct.

I tried searching for HD controller driver disk (txtsetup.oem) but it doesn't have any on the acer site.

When I try to boot the mini WINXP from the hiren bootcd I get the same result: black screen with blinking cursos.

I booted Hiren's bootdisk mini windows7 and that boots ok. So it seems hardware isn't defective. I've looked at device manager and it shows VEN_8086&DEV_27C4 as the deviceID. Searched google but still no txtsetup.oem download anywhere.

I removed the HD, changed memory, removes WLAN card.. but nothing... XP SP2 or XP SP3 doesn't make any difference...

As I don't have an ACER restore CD it renders the laptop useless (I don't have a win vista or win 7 license so I need XP). Anyone with the correct restoreCD (XP Pro dutch if possible?) or ideas how to fix this?