Dell ICH7-M replacement

flower99

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hi

My Laptop for dell are just malfunctioning caused by the USB pin D+ and D- are shorted with ground pin. After having a open short test with multimeter, noticed root cause are coming from ICH7-M.

Question is can I get this IC for other dell model with same IC model making on the body to replace with my laptop motherboard?.
Is that IC keeps any information or codec for each model of motherboard because i just wont throw it to rubbish. I just want to have a try to reflow it and revive it back to alive

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
?? I'm not exactly what you're referring to in regards to USB, but ICH7 is an Intel chipset on the motherboard. To 'replace' it, you'd need to find an exact matched motherboard and swap the whole mobo.

How did you use a multimeter to diagnose a chipset problem through the USB connector??

flower99

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
disassembled the laptop and use the Digital Multimeter to test each pin of USB port on motherboard.
If any possible to change the IC only by reflow it and change the working IC (NH82801GBM)?
have this IC keeps any information or something importance data else? can this simplest swap the IC only as long as the IC MPN(Manufacture part number) are the same?

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
The chipset stores no information. It is only a 'middleman' between hardware and software layers. All you infor is stored either in BIOS (which is easy to restore, there aren't a lot of options), or on your hard drive, and changing hardware on the mobo won't affect hard drive info.