Help deciding between 2 laptops

ThisIsAwkward

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
I'm debating between two Samsung Series 7 laptops and need advice on which one to choose based on the variable features (all other specs not listed are equal)...

- 1 TB, 5400 rpm hard drive
- 8 GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GT630M graphics card
- 512 MB VRAM

- 750 GB, 7200 rpm hard drive
- 6 GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GT640M graphics card
- 1 GB VRAM

I'm not a gamer...I will be doing the basics on the internet, using MS Office, photo/music/video storage, some photo editing, listening to music and watching videos, etc...so which option is the best for me?

Solution
The faster hdd will load and transfer info quicker. I'm using 8GB of RAM but I've yet to see all of it used, it rarely goes beyond 60% usage with multiple programs running. Also, it's easier and cheaper to upgrade your RAM than it is to swap out an HDD. Further if HDD capacity is an issue, you can always add an identical HDD to double your storage very easily. Hope this helps.
Good luck.

ThisIsAwkward

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
So in this case it's better to have a faster hard drive and a smaller RAM? The price on the two models is equal...so it really is the four/five factors above that will drive my decision

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
The faster hdd will load and transfer info quicker. I'm using 8GB of RAM but I've yet to see all of it used, it rarely goes beyond 60% usage with multiple programs running. Also, it's easier and cheaper to upgrade your RAM than it is to swap out an HDD. Further if HDD capacity is an issue, you can always add an identical HDD to double your storage very easily. Hope this helps.
Good luck.

Solution