Possible To Fix Acer Power On Motherboard Module?

Se7ven

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
It does not turn on. No lights.With just the battery. With just the ac/dc power adapter. Nothing.

As to what I am referring to perhaps I have mistated using power on module, but I am thinking the connector that the ac/dc adaptor plugs into has gone. Is there a way of testing and/or replacing that?

First, are you sure the power adapter is working or the battery has a charge on it. If the battery is dead and the adapter tests out with a multimeter, then it's something inside. It could be the power switch, but rarely do those cables come loose on there own. They are flat, hard to push in or clip in ribbon cables.

Se7ven

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Everything was working, until I shutdown. Next time I tried to restart it would not. There is nothing wrong with either the battery, nor the ac adapter. You mean the power switch used to turn on the laptop by depressing it, or something on the motherboard itself?

frozenlead

Distinguished
The standard procedure for a notebook that doesn't turn on after confirming the AC adapter works is to:

1. Disassemble the notebook.
2. Disconnect everything. You should be left with the motherboard, a CPU, a heatsink, and 1 stick of memory.
3. Connect it to AC power and an external monitor.
4. See if it boots.
5. If no boot, take out the BIOS battery, unplug it, and let it sit for a while.
6. If still no POST, then the board or the CPU is dead, and require replacing. Oftentimes (>95%) it's the board over the CPU, but there's no way to tell.

Se7ven

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I find that difficult to believe that age in and of itself would cause the cpu and/or motherboard to just die. I have a desktop computer that is 5 years older than that laptop and it is working fine. I never used that laptop for gaming or any other cpu intensive apps.