Acer aspire 5517 will not continuously charge

snoisworthy

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hello,
The charging light on my mom's acer aspire 5517 laptop will come on but will go off after about 30 seconds. At times it will blink and at times it will have a solid light. She replaced the power cord and is having the same problem. Could this be the battery or the port that the power cord plugs into?

Pinhedd

Distinguished
If the laptop is working on AC then the AC adapter is fine. All it does is spit out a constant DC voltage, the rest is done inside of the laptop.

Batteries have a short lifespan and will often lose half their charge capacity within 18 months. They will be down to about a quarter within 3 years and will usually be completely dead within 4 years. This is simply a byproduct of the technology and not necessarily a quality control issue. However, there are some batteries which will simply stop working completely long before this. They are mass produced in Asia so it's really no surprise.

If the laptop is working while it is plugged in, it is 100% a battery issue.

snoisworthy

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
The laptop will not turn on at all anymore. The charger port seems to be the problem because the laptop will not power up while plugged in and without a battey. I wish I could figure out how to switch the battery port.

camrow

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

I was told that if the battery is not completely run down at least once a moth it will simply burn out after about a year....i.e. not hold a charge.The only way to fix this problem then is to replace the battery.
Hope this is some help.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

There's no basis for that in Lithium-Ion batteries. Only Nickel-Cadmium batteries experience such a memory effect. Lithium Ion batteries can be kept charged, or recharged from any point above the low voltage threshold. In fact, if a Lithium-Ion battery is completely discharged it will not be able to be recharged at all; fortunately all consumer batteries have internal circuitry to prevent this from happening. In order to extend the life of a lithium-ion battery it is actually recommended to keep the charge as high as possible for as long as possible.