Some basic Questions

qzydo

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Hello,
http://www.flipkart.com/sony-vaio- [...] b5e7rcmcg5
I brought new Vaio lap (SVE15118FN) one week ago. That was the only one providing such a config(i7 3G 3612, 4GB@1600Mhz, 7650, 750GB@5400rpm,1366 x 768) at a very competitive price. I went with the Vaio Brand name, over slightly underpriced thoshiba model having nearly the same specs.

Here is the trouble, I am rather unsatisfied with the performances (though I haven't put anything hardcored on it) but the usuall win7 activities including browsing seems way slower than my sandy i3+4Gb@1333Mhz PC.

1. Is a lap inherently slower than a PC with rather lower config??(Even slower than i3..!!)??
2.Does this RAM speed 1600Mhz make any difference at all comparing to 1333??
3.Will the 4Gb suffice, as I gave a 2GB graphics of Ati 7650?? (though usage never gets over 60%)
4.Its chipset is HM76 Express. Does the chipset make any differnce in performance??
5.With all you guys' experiences, do u think a higher end i5 lappy may be a better option than a lower end i7(let alone the games here, just the basic day2day)??
6.Will it be possible to replace the 750Gb with an hybrid HDD with some 32GB SSD.

Answer to all/any of the queries will be greatly helpfull. Thanks in advance

:hello:

Solution
1. with windows vista and windows 7, the os can make use of many cores and threads just
doing basic windows stuff. This usually results in faster system response. It may also depend
on how windows is scheduling tasks on real cores and virtual cores. If your desktop i3 is not
a low power model at 2.5 or 2.6 ghz but a normal power one at 3.1, 3.3 or 3.4ghz, it may be
running at a higher clockspeed than that low power i7 quad. your power saving i7 quad has
a default base clock of 2.1ghz, but can run at higher turbo speeds depending on how many
cores are in use. If it is 3 or 4 cores, the max is 2.8ghz. if it is 2 cores, it is 3ghz. if it is one
core, it is 3.1ghz. Since your i3 is always at one speed(not counting system idle), it may be...

jtenorj

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
1. with windows vista and windows 7, the os can make use of many cores and threads just
doing basic windows stuff. This usually results in faster system response. It may also depend
on how windows is scheduling tasks on real cores and virtual cores. If your desktop i3 is not
a low power model at 2.5 or 2.6 ghz but a normal power one at 3.1, 3.3 or 3.4ghz, it may be
running at a higher clockspeed than that low power i7 quad. your power saving i7 quad has
a default base clock of 2.1ghz, but can run at higher turbo speeds depending on how many
cores are in use. If it is 3 or 4 cores, the max is 2.8ghz. if it is 2 cores, it is 3ghz. if it is one
core, it is 3.1ghz. Since your i3 is always at one speed(not counting system idle), it may be
fully loaded. however, if the os is loading the i7's cores one at a time so they are all working
before using virtual cores(hyperthreading), it may be throttling at 2.8ghz or 300 to 600 mhz
slower than an i3 at 3.1 to 3.4ghz. that is the best guess i can think of.

2. Mem speed Not a big difference, no. probably not enough to notice, anyway.

3.4GB should be ok(depending on the kind of work loads you want to subject your i7 to).
I am wondering about the os. flipcart says it is windows 7 home premium, but does not
specify if it is 32 bit or 64 bit. one would think that a system with 4 gigs of ram (up to 8),
and video card with 2gigs of its own ram would have windows 64 bit. If for some strange reason
it has windows 32bit, that is a hard limit on the amount of memory that can be addressed in
the system(4GB) and takes away from system ram based on the amount of graphics ram and
other things. If you are running windows 32 bit, you are likely using less than 2GB of you
system ram. If it is windows home premium 64bit then it can theoretically have a up to
16GB of system ram(a limit set by microsoft versus 128GB of ram on pricier versions of
win 7 than the home version) but also allocate possibly any amount of dedicated graphics
ram above and beyond that.

4.It might be possible that the hm76 chipset is limited to running ram at 1333 max. but not
sure on that. even so, it wouldn't make that big of a difference to overall performance.

5.the i5 might possibly be better for day to day/games, but not heavy workloads.

6. can't tell whether a hdd swap is very feasible or not in your case.

Going along with that, what speed was you hdd in the desktop? your laptop hdd is only
a 5400rpm model(i guess that is standard on a laptop versus 7200 rpm on a desktop).
Your hdd performance could be a bottleneck to the system you are not used to.

Thats all I can think of that might be causing you to feel things are slower.

Solution
Are you surfing the web wirelessly on both the laptop and PC? If so then try plugging in the laptop and the PC directly to the modem. If they seem to perform just about the same, then that most likely means the wireless modem in the laptop is not that good, or the drivers are not as optimized as they ought to be.

qzydo

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Thaks A lot jtenorj , that was a biggie :eek:
my i3 clocks @3.1Ghz compared to th 2.1Ghz of i7(lappy). But I assumed turboboost will deal with the i7 clock rates. I goti7 3612 instead of i73610 as found in similar products. I hope the lower TDP (35W) don't affect performance as much. Also it clocks from 2.1 to 3.1(max) in 7/7/9/10 compared to 2.3 to 3.3 in 8/8/9/10. I am temped into asking that lower stepcount(7) should imply steeper performance improvement on need, right??.
I assume nothing can be done to prevent OS from loading the core sucessively,as this H2O BIOS has just NOTHING to configure :cry: , not even num of core to be used.Is there some fancy way to max my CPU @ 3.1Ghz in single core, constantly, just for the sake of testing,Kinda like disabling turbo?? :whistle:

Its a win7 64bit they are shipping. But I just have a 4Gb, which I plan on upgrading. :wahoo:

PC has a 7200rpm HDD, and I am assuming the 5400Hdd in lap is causing the reall performance bottle neck :ouch: . And Iam also planning on formatting off the HDD and start anew, to get rid of all the software bundled, and check if that helps.

Again thanks for ur time,gratefull. :hello:

qzydo

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Thanks jaguarskx,
I think the wireless network adapter is OK. Because I am able to transfer files at about 2.8MB/sec using the wi-fi in with my PC, wirelessLAN. The speed is OK, right?? :)

Thanks again, jaguarskx :hello: