Problem with hard drive for hp laptop.

davidlionheart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
It is an hp dv4
Thank you in advance.
The hard drive was removed and then put back in, but the hard drive won't read anymore. Worked fine before.

Solution
It might, as most recommend removing the battery as it might fry something.
Unless you have a someway to tell the hd with another identical laptop, my suggestion is to go to computer shop to get them to take a look at it to see what need to replace, or might be just cheaper to get a new laptop.

davidlionheart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Stupid me wanted to see what kind of hd it was. It literally on the floor for about 5 minutes was well, if it makes any difference i was doing it on the floor i live on a second floor apartment.

davidlionheart

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Yes i did make sure it was tight, i also removed the metal piece and tried it like that to make sure everything connected, cleaned and everything. i did not pull the battery before i pulled out the hd....=/ did that do something?

rgd1101

Don't
It might, as most recommend removing the battery as it might fry something.
Unless you have a someway to tell the hd with another identical laptop, my suggestion is to go to computer shop to get them to take a look at it to see what need to replace, or might be just cheaper to get a new laptop.

Solution

ryanrich83

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
HDD might be toast.

Like rgd1101 suggested, try using the HDD with another computer.

Easy way of doing this is getting an external HDD case for 2.5" HDDs and putting it in there and seeing if another computer can access the drive. If its still accessible, the drive is most likely okay, but would recommended testing the drive as well. Backup the data files if you can.

It might have affected the SATA controller when you took it out with the battery still in the laptop.

If that's the case, and you're out-of-warranty, buy a new laptop. You'd have to replace the motherboard, and it is not worth the cost. HP's cost for a motherboard replacement is $329.

TRENDING THREADS