Durable laptop $800-1000

david9876

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Hello, I'm looking for a laptop that will last (no cheap plastic feel to it) in the $800 $1000 range. I have had bad experiences with Lenovo Y series (cheap screens & wiring that will stop working) - it's a shame IBM does not build them anymore.

I've found it tough to find solid laptops, so I come here to listen to your advice. I'm not looking for one of those indestructible models, just something that will last 3-4 good years with little to no service repair. Samsung seems solid..

1. What is your budget?
$800-$1000
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
< 6lbs
3. What screen resolution do you want?
15+
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable laptop
5. How much battery life do you need?
4hrs
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not for gaming.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
light photoshop use, light video editing
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
300GB+
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
newegg,amazon preferred
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd rw
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
not lenovo y series (breaks easily)
13. What country do you live in?
usa
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
thanks.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
1) you should take a look at thinkpad line, not sure why you are saying it is a shame IBM doesn't build them, lenovo still builds thinkpads.
You sort of got what you paid for by going with the cheaper ideapad series.

2) get the extra warranty (+use credit card that adds a year of warranty).

3) if that isn't tough enough, look for ruggidized laptops (panasonic toughbook).

The above will probably blow your budget unfortunately.

david9876

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
1) Lenovo builds them, correct. Not IBM. The ideapad I got was around $1000 - not exactly on cheap side..
3) Not looking for toughbooks.. perhaps a brand that invests more on better material quailty.

coldtortilla

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I have a sony vaio s series laptop and I am not sure if it is what you would call durable maybe the new models with the carbon fiber body will fit that durability that you want but they sure won't meet the price you want to pay. You might want to check out the hp envy series of laptops or you might just want to wait untill the surface gets released and see how other compaines try to match or beat that standard that microsoft wants to implement.
P.S. the clevo brand of notebooks look kinda durable especially the 11 inch power house they have.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
1) no matter what you paid, the build quality of ideapad is cheap (as compared to thinkpads) .
My point is if you wanted the legacy of an IBM thinkpad... well you should have gotten a thinkpad. It's a bad comparison to compare an ideapad to a thinkpad.

Sorry if it left a bad taste in your mouth, and maybe you'll swear off all lenovos;
but it's illogical to write off thinkpads as a "shame" if you haven't actually used a thinkpad.
It would be like saying it's a shame steak tastes disgusting, if all you had to eat was steak from Dennys.