Dell Inspiron 4100 Won't Boot Windows 7 Disc

SMOR3S

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
First off, I already went into the Bios and changed the boot priority to CD/DVD, but it's not wanting to boot my Windows 7 disc... Am I able to boot it from a USB?, cause I have tried ISO booting from USB's before, but I never had any luck, so I just use my disc...

bshk

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Is it giving you an error message or is it just ignoring the cd entirely? USB booting always works for me, it doesn't work on some older laptops but the newer ones it works fine. Did you burn the disc yourself or is it an official windows disc?

SMOR3S

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

It totally ignores the CD boot process, and it's an Official Windows 7 OEM dics..

bignastyid

Splendid
This old of a system doesn't support booting from usb. Are you sure you have a dvd-rom drive? Most inspiron 4100's only shipped with a cd-rom maybe a cd-rw drive, as dvd drive were an expensive upgrade when the system was released 11 years ago. Also unless the system was completely maxed with ram and the fastest PIIIm cpu that was available at the time it doesn't meet the minimum specs for windows 7 or just barely meets them which most likely its going to run like crap.

bignastyid

Splendid
"Official Windows 7 OEM dics" here's a bit of bad news it being OEM means you cant run it on this system legally. This system was either shipped with am OEM copy of windows 2000 or windows ME. In order to upgrade from these OEM versions to 7 you'd need a full retail copy of & or a retail upgrade. Installing an OEM copy of 7 on a pre-built machine is a violation of the EULA.

bshk

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Or you can just acquire a windows 7 iso and burn your own disc, then format and install windows 7 on the laptop.

SMOR3S

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Oh okay... I have an XP serial, I'll just use that.. And yes it has a CD/DVD/CD-RW, but it won't boot for some reason, even when F12'ing.. If worse comes to worse, I could just use an External CD/DVD drive, that is USB, to re-install XP...

This laptop was free from my friend, cause I needed something that could at least run Traktor Pro, or some Mixing program, cause I am playing a live set here soon, and I don't want to bring my workstation PC :3

Thanks again,

- SMOR3S - Kevin -

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished
11 year old hardware, with a max of 1GB of RAM (if you can even find it today). Windows 7 wouldn't run so much as limp like a lame horse. Hard drives of that era were quite tiny compared to today. I doubt there'd be much space left after an installation (takes ~20GB).

My advice is to leave 2000 or Me on it and just use it as is.

SMOR3S

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Ya, it has XP already on it, but the Windows start bar doesn't show, and when I open the default IE (-_-) it spams like 60 windows lol.. I think it has a virus..

bignastyid

Splendid
I wouldn't spend a cent on that old of a system. Considering you could spend $300 on a new one that is worlds faster than what you have. For example this $300 Lenovo(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246490) is easily many times faster than your decade old system. If $300 is oo much you can get a refurbished system for $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200472.

SMOR3S

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Ya, I am not even going to bother with it.. + I would only have like $100 to spend on a laptop...

bignastyid

Splendid
Being a used acer with missing keys I personally would pay over $50 and I'd keep my data backed up Acers have a short lifespan(in my experience). If you check Ebay you can get a Dell Latitude D630 for ~$100(read the listings well as some come missing important parts), The D630 is a solid well built system that should last a long time.