Samsung RF711-S02 Temp issues

doxq

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Hello,

I got a Samsung RF711-S02 Notebook about a year ago for gaming and college and ever since have had pretty bad issues with the temperature of it, specifically while playing games.

The main games I play are World of Warcraft, League of Legends and CS:GO. While playing League of Legends it does fine, having 60 FPS non-stop and only occasionally going above 85C. However, while playing World of Warcraft it can be anywhere from 80C-95C, usually on the higher side depending on what is going on ingame. Lately it's been even hotter than usual never going below 90C in WoW and even when I put it on Power Saver mode which usually reduces the temp by ~10C it seems to stay in the danger zone. It has blue screened/crashed a few times when I least expected it but I think this must have to do it overheating (breaking point seems to be about 97C).

The GPU is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M and hasn't been overclocked or anything. I've tried a laptop cooler but this doesn't work at all (or at least the change is so small that it's not noticeable), which I think is because the vents are not on the bottom like many laptops have them, but rather in the back and on the left side. Both vents are clear of any dust or anything else that might block airflow, and I keep it elevated on an unplugged cooling pad about 3 inches in the air well clear of any thing that might obstruct vents.

I've tried putting a normal house fan next to it as well but this doesn't work. This could also have to do with the heatwave that has hit where I live (New England) this summer but even through the winter it was pretty hot (above 90 on multiple occasions). As a secondary question with this I was wondering how much room temperature affects a GPU's temp.

Is there something seriously wrong with my notebook? I'm pretty convinced the fans are not broken at all because there's a steady and strong air flow out of the vents when it gets to these higher temps. Maybe something wrong with the thermal paste or heatsink in general? Or is this quite normal for this kind of GPU on these games in the hot summer? Any help with this would be much appreciated.

tylanol86

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
i have the exact same issue but for me its oddly enough lower end game send my laptop (RF711) into a shutdown state and crazy hot state usually right after it freezes and buzzes a couple of times so anyone who can help this person can prob help me to gaming is brutal when your computer is an a**hole

PerSOL

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Sorry to hear of two more... these laptops are cheap and nasty and are production failures though I am still digging for the proof. Mine started off doing what you both have described and has now got to the point that the laptop will no longer boot, 100% dead, I paid 900 for mine... you two?

doxq

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Mine still works fine and hasn't blue screened at all since I reformatted last November, though that may be because it's been so cold in my house during the Winter so it can't overheat. It still runs ~90C when I play League of Legends. Other than that it's been fine, no performance drops or anything. Sorry to hear yours died though. I paid $1,150 for mine and got it from Newegg.