How much power does an SSD take?

mark4685

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Are you adding or replacing? If you're replacing then it will save you, but if you're just adding the SSD WITH the HDD then I don't think it would save you much. Sorry, I don't know how much exactly it will save you, I just know SSDs don't use very much power.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
SSD uses lesser power than a HDD.
Plus, you save some power because using an SSD, you can complete all the disk bound workload quicker, and then the whole system can come in the idle, power-saving mode quicker.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

An SSD uses very minimal power...I think the latest one I bought said it uses 0.2 W when active and .65 mW idle, compared to the typical 10W active a mechanical HDD uses.

So if you are putting your most common applications and files on the SSD you will probably see a longer battery life on your laptop since its using the drive that needs less power more often, but it totally dependent on what files and programs you put where.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

every computer part takes some power even when idle. But comparing the idle power usage of HDD vs SSD : SSD wins hand down. An SSD at full load takes about the same or lesser power as an HDD at rest. So at idle it takes much much less.