Asus g53sx vs other options

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
hello everyone ^_^
so less than a week ago I have purchased asus g53sx-DH71 specs as following.
-processor: I7 2670QM
-primary HDD: 750gb 7400rpm
-12gb ddr3 RAM
-15.6 full HD screen
-NVIDIA geforce gtx560M 2gb (128bit memory bandwidth)
before buying this machine I was looking for a good all around laptop that could aid me in my travelling and everyday business and gaming of course, unfortunately all the local deals (live outside usa ) are good but have weak graphic cards, such as Sony vaio s, HP pavilion dv6 and dell inspiron 15r special edition, which have powerful specs and full hd screen except weak graphic cards (gtx 630m, 640m le), so when this deal came along i grabbed it very quickly without doing a full research.
the u.s price I bought it with is approximately 1560 USD brand new not in box with backpack and mouse.
what I am asking about is the following
1- considering the price I bought it with, is it a good value, noting that if am buying it from usa I will pay at least 150-200 USD shipping costs.
2- how does the g53sx compares to the more recent g55 or sager in similar price.
3- is the full hd screen good in terms of color accuracy and black levels
4- did I make a good choice regarding this purchase since this is the only gaming machine I got my hands on locally without having to worry about shipping costs and waiting 10days for the shipment to arrive,

what everyone think about this, noting that this machine turn heads in coffee shops cuz of it exotic looks, should I sell it off and buy something else or should I keep it,
I forgat to mention that I am average pc gamer which likes to play at full hd and 60fps, but I won't be expecting similar desktop performance for a notebook at this price point.

thank u all in advance waiting for ur opinions and thoughts.

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
as far as reviews go, the new G55VW is better - the GTX 660M is faster and cooler + cooling system is far better.
The performance shouldn't be much more fast, but somewhat faster.
I don't know about the screen, but the FullHD screens haven't got worse, probably better

However, for 1560$ you can get a lot faster gaming laptop. If you're ok with 17.3" - even better.

I think you better send it back.

thank you for your reply. well unfortunately I cannot send it back cuz I didn`t buy it from a store, it was from someone who posted an ad online and wanted to sell it, 17inch is a little bit big for my taste but after checking sager, MSI, and g55 offers I can see that I can get a more powerful machine for the same amount of money, if I was back home it would have been easy for me to simply buy one online and have it shipped to my country, but am out of the country and I needed to buy a machine cuz I didn`t have a computer, so comparing to the local deals this seemed like a very good bargain compared to the other laptops in the same price range, so I just grabbed it without thinking, seems like the price of laptops here is like 20-30% more expensive than in USA and no retailer here sells the asus G series gaming laptops so there is no way to compare,
I thought about it this way, if I was going to buy a new machine online with the same specifications I will have to pay 200$ worth of international shipping so I would have paid 1300USD for a machine and 200$ for shipping, currently the g53 is being phased out and no one sells it anymore, but if you search good enough you may find some who sells other similar models to DH71 for 1300usd such as this one
http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamers-G53SX-AH71-15-6-Inch-Gaming/dp/B005UUS6BU/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346042624&sr=1-3&keywords=ASUS+G53SX

it has the same specs but with less ram.

I wouldn`t mind paying this amount of money if the machine could run all my games at full settings, 60fps like on my desktop gaming machine back home but after researching and asking around guru3d it seemed like it would be hard for a laptop to play games at 60fps at least not in the less 2000usd range.
in 720p, the laptop is very capable but at full HD things start to slow down.