So, what exactly WILL it run?

acornhats

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hey there guys! I've been lurking your forums for a while now, and just had a few questions about a laptop I just ordered from HP. I've heard good things about the model, but I'm not sure what exactly it will run. It'll be for school and for gaming. Here are the specs:

HP Pavilion dv6z-7000 Entertainment Notebook PC

Processor: AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M (3.0GHz/2.1GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
Graphics card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7600 Series Discrete-Class Graphics
Memory: 6GB 1600MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive: 750GB 5400RPM Hard Drive

It should work fine for anything I do schoolwork on, but what about gaming? After looking at the GTA IV specs I'm thinking it'll probably run it at medium settings or so, but I could be wrong. Since GTA IV is a CPU-intensive game and I have a quad-core, I'm assuming it should run smoothly, but I don't know much about the GPU. Plus, it's a laptop, and it really wasn't BUILT for gaming, so I'm not sure exactly what it can handle.

Let me know if you can! Thanks!

acornhats

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Thank you! I had no idea that I could actually check which GPUs work with which games online. Very cool!

But, I'm not sure if I did it right. The GPU listed in my specs was the AMD Radeon HD 7600 Series, and although I found plenty of GPUs that were similar (1610, 1640, etc.) I didn't find 1600. Does 1600 encompass the whole series of Radeon graphics cards that start with "16"? Sorry, I'm new and don't really know this stuff. Thanks again for your help.

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
When it says 7600 series (why are you saying 1610, 1640, etc. Did your 7 key stop working?) it's saying it is one of the cards in the series, not a 7600 itself. If you look at the itemized list on your invoice, it might say the actual model.

By typing "76" into the model field, it will filter out all the cards except the cards in the 7600 series. Which is why it listed 6 or 7 cards. The range in performance between all of them is kinda big, so if you got the actual model I could answer the original question. Otherwise, the color coded graph on the page i linked is your best bet.

TRENDING THREADS