I feel like my laptop might fry itself

emperor piehead

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
I am on vacation and i brought my laptop. well i start watching a youtube video and near the end of the video the audio and video become distorted. i go to task manager and cpu is at 99% and i was just watching a seven minute video. i have had this laptop for about a year without a problem but recently it started running very hot. i have a dual core i3-370 and it tends to get hot but not this much. If anyone has any clues about what is wrong it will be noted. :)

Solution
Have you gotten canned air and sprayed the cpu fan and radiator out? might just have some dust bunnies in there causing heat to build up. Go from radiator toward cpu, then cpu toward radiator and see how much gunk comes out.

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Have you gotten canned air and sprayed the cpu fan and radiator out? might just have some dust bunnies in there causing heat to build up. Go from radiator toward cpu, then cpu toward radiator and see how much gunk comes out.

Solution

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
It is curious why your CPU is at 99%. Virus, Antivirus scan, iTunes? Yeah I had someone who asked me why their computer was so slow and I found an iTunes component running in the background with abnormal CPU usage. Reinstalling iTunes seems to have fixed it. When your CPU is at 99 % try Opening Task Manager, on the Processes tab check "Show processes from all users" and see what process is being a pig.