College laptop / little gaming

deeprty

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
hi folks

i've built 2 tower systems with help from the nice people on this forum and i'd like some more help please .

1. What is your budget? -- £500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? -- 15.6+

3. What screen resolution do you want? -- no idea?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? -- portable (ish)

5. How much battery life do you need? -- not really a concern

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? -- yes and no i have a tower for this but it would be nice to play something on it (playing dayz right now)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) -- must be able to play movies onto a 42"tv hd

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? -- not a real concern

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. -- been looking at refurbished units at acer but not tied to this

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? -- 4 years +

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? -- any or none

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. -- any

13. What country do you live in? -- uk

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
-- laptop is for college / university going to be starting computer science soon but currently doing software development .
i have almost bought this

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Refurbished_Grade_A1_Acer_Aspire_5750G_Core_i7_Windows_7_Gaming_Laptop__A1-LX.RCF02.183/version.asp?PID=171

but thought i would get some advice first. i'm up for all suggestions so please just pile in.

thanks in advance

Rockdpm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Cool. So your majoring in computer science huh? Awesome. I am Majoring in Programming currently. Always nice to meet a fellow "Geek" So you want to max out your games or just atleast be able to run them? 500 Euro's is gonna be hard to and maybe even impossible to find..

deeprty

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I AM NOT A GEEK, i'm learning to be one :sol:
games are a secondary thing, i will only be using it for games when there is down time at uni/college

you've confused me and thats not really hard but whats the differnce between this
http://www.ebuyer.com/279521-acer-aspire-5755g-laptop-lx-rpx02-037
and this
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/GRADE_A1_-_Acer_Aspire_5750G_Core_i7_Laptop_a1-LX.RCF02.151/version.asp?refsource=LDfroogle
apart from the name and my one is refurbished (which i've just found for cheaper than the £500 i had it for from acer)
EDIT and the cpu lol
your second and third picks are way to much for my needs i'm already buying a machine thats to powerfull (i think) also i'm saving some money back for 1 or 2 ssd's

deeprty

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
so just to confirm and say cheers for replies ,

i am getting value for money on my choice or the first choice by Rockdpm i aint ordering for at least 2 days