ASUS N56VZ changing optical drive to an SSD

Fumler

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
Hello.

Just been lurking this site for great content but now I need some help.

I have ordered an Asus N56VZ, watched some videos and stuff and I can see you can open the cover under the notebook, but that only gives you reach of the primary hdd (which I want to keep) and the RAM.

My friends tell me that you can remove the optical drive and change that with an SSD/HDD. But I have no idea how. I don't think the SSD is big enough to fit in there without wiggling around, so how do I do this?

Be as specific as you can, please :p

Thanks for any help!

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

THere are optical to SSD bay devices, and an entire DIY guide on this here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/388625-diy-adding-ssd-hdd-storage-using-optical-bay-caddy.html

Have a look.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
Just in case you haven't thought of it, why not replace your primary HDD with the SSD and use it for a boot drive, then use the HDD externally for storage?

Fumler

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
I don't want to have more external parts, already have the subwoofer, mouse, mousepad and charger. So that's why I just want to replace the optical drive since I won't be using it. Flash drives for the win ey :)

Jost

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Anyone know how to remove the DVD drive from the n56vz? Do I have to remove all of the button cover of the machine?