Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop model no. L750-171

Basic laptop specs
Intel i5 2430m runs at 2.4ghz
6gb ram
750gb harddrive 5400rpm
nvidia geforce GT 525M with CUDA Technology

When i first got the laptop back in January 2012 and i ran high cpu programs , the temps stayed below 80.

Just recently since i've come back from holiday (I took the laptop with me aswell) , its started to overheat a lot.
I have a program called mkv2vob which basically transcodes video and when i run that the cpu temp is at about 85 - 90 and when i'm playing GTA IV the cpu temp is about 92-95.

Can someone help me with a solution without disassembling the laptop?

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
If your cpu is going over 80* that's a serious problem, I would avoid doing anything that puts it that high. Use a can of air and clean out the visible intake and exhaust ports. Make sure to not put the laptop on top of your lap, beds, carpet, blankets, etc for long periods because this blocks the vents and prevents adequate cooling.

jay_nar2012

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
What are the temps of your room, the hotter your room is, the hotter the heatsink gets and therefor hotter the CPU and GPU, laptops are hotter than desktops but my laptop usually maxes out at 85c, the CPU and GPU probably use the same heatsink, the GPU gets hotter than the CPU most of the time, the GPU makes the CPU hotter...

bigsaf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

I tend not too keep it on the bed, I always try to keep it on the desk. since I've got back from holiday I've made sure that i've thoroughly cleaned the inside and the outside as it did gain a lot of dust whilst I was on holiday. thanks for your advice.

bigsaf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

The temps of the room would be about 22-24 ish as I was outside in my backyard when I come across the problem.

Possibly check for a BIO update. I've seen several Toshiba's come into my shop from overheating and there was a later BIOS update that fixed some temp/fan problems.

Also, you said it was overheating outside in your yard? What kind of temps are outside?

bigsaf

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Actually that was the first thing that I did! I have updated the bios to the latest version. And the temps outside are about 18-20 degrees I think. nothing higher than 25 I'd say so it should stay cool atleast