Is it normal for my laptop to be running this hot?

G

Hey everyone.

I bought myself a Toshiba Portege M750 convertible tablet laptop last summer.

Here are some of the specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
RAM - 4GB (limited to 2.87GB because of the 32-bit limitation)
HDD - 320GB 7200RPM
GPU - Intel GMA-4500MHD IGPU (only about 70MB to 90MB is allocated for dedicated use like gaming and whatnot)

The CPU runs at around 54 to 56 degrees celsius at idle, 60 to 65 degrees celsius whenever I have a few things open, and when I'm playing a game or doing anything that would require more processing power, the CPU usually heats up to between 75 and 85 degrees celsius. The CPU has even hit temperatures of over 90 degrees celsius before, and when it gets that hot, I can barely use the keyboard, and I can't even pick the laptop up from underneath, due to it being so hot. The only time the CPU isn't over 50 degrees celsius is when I'm in a REALLY cold room for a very very long period of time, or when my laptop is off.

Is it normal for a laptop like mine to be running this hot all the time?

drums101

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
yes it is normal for a laptop like that to get pretty hot..I had a buddy who had pretty much that exact laptop and it got really hot on him too...during normal use (basically not gaming) does the laptop get too hot to touch? if so then its probably getting too hot and you should blow out the fan with compressed air or something.

G

I take a vacuum to the vents and keyboard instead of using compressed air. I do that about every 3-4 weeks. Using a vacuum to suck out all the air is a lot better than using compressed air to simply blow the dust somewhere else.

I'm hopefully going to be building myself a desktop soon so that I don't have to keep using the M750 full-time.

Most of the time when I'm using my laptop, the CPU temperature stays between 56 and 75 degrees celsius. The CPU temperature very rarely peaks past 90 degrees celsius. It only ever gets THAT hot when I'm running a very processor/graphics-hungry game, or if I'm running a game that's not optimized well at all. There was one game I tried out called Hard Reset, and that game made the CPU heat up to almost 100 degrees celsius in just a couple of minutes. Let's just say I uninstalled that game and never played it again.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Those are pretty high temps. I would open up the laptop and clean it out more thoroughly. Where do you have it most of the time? If you set it on your blanket or anything it will block airflow causing it to heat up pretty bad. Try getting a cooling pad for better airflow.

If your CPU reaches 100c though those are dangerous temps it might already be damaged... Getting there in only a couple minutes... Maybe you need to reapply thermal paste?

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
do you run your laptop in low power during normal use? if not then this will be why it is hot on desktop/idle.

Laptops are also designed with very terrible thermal envelopes and usualy very poor cooling to fit within their bodys and weight limits.

TRENDING THREADS