Just ordered a laptop. Should I change the configuration??

WmOmW

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Hello,

I just ordered an HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/A3F49AV?HP-Pavilion-dv6t-7000-Quad-Edition-Entertainment-Notebook-PC

I'm beating myself up over a configuration choice that I made and I'm hoping to get your feedback. Maybe I'm hard on myself for nothing :)

Here are the specs
I ordered the laptop with the 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) and 12GB DDR3 System Memory.
(also ordered the NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 1GB GDDR5 memory [HDMI, VGA])

After letting the purchase settle in my brain, I started to second guess myself. Should I have gone with the 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM Processor (2.6 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache and knocked down the system memory to 8GB instead??
Keep in mind I'm trying to stay within my budget, so I had to choose either more memory or more processor power.

I'm a web designer, so I'm constantly working in photoshop, adobe flash, Illustrator, etc. So this is what I do mostly.

Thanks in advance for your input.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Given the choice, you should have gone with the stronger processor.

Reason is if you are tech savvy at all, you can upgrade the ram yourself (or with help from a techy friend) for much less then what HP charges for the upgrade.

That being said, it is just pure math, the stronger processor is only 2.6/2.3= 13% faster---if you have a task that is consuming your CPU.

If you don't need the extra cpu speed, you probably can do without it (example you cannot outtype your computer, will not make you write an essay 13% faster).

Especially if it is adding more than 13% to your price).