Laptop screen warm from one side

gsbharaj

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
heys folks looks like i am paranoid. i need your help resolving this thing.

ok the right side of my hp dv6 is warm to touch. mot the screen itself but the plastic. rest of the screen is completely normal.
is my screen ok?

and when i play games the left side of the laptop where i rest my palm gets warm. not uncomfortable. is this normal?

thank you guys

Solution
It's fine. Laptops get much, much hotter than desktops and they're designed to withstand it. My laptop gets incredibly hot when playing games - palm rest, keyboard, the metal trim especially. I don't usually monitor my temperatures, but when it gets pushed, it can get within 1C of its max operating temperature (100C, higher than its desktop counterparts).

Edit: I should add, airflow is another factor. Mine intakes from the bottom and exhausts out the left side, which causes my palm rest to get even hotter.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

likely heat coming off the lamp at the bottom. Hot air ascends through whatever channel finds on that side of the screen and gets in contact with the plastic cover at that location. Don't worry, it won't melt or anything. If it were to melt, it would start from the immediate vicinity of the lamp.

gsbharaj

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
just played for quite some time now. found that most of the laptop on left side was hot. then i turned on the laptop cooler and everthing went to warm. is it fine?

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
It's fine. Laptops get much, much hotter than desktops and they're designed to withstand it. My laptop gets incredibly hot when playing games - palm rest, keyboard, the metal trim especially. I don't usually monitor my temperatures, but when it gets pushed, it can get within 1C of its max operating temperature (100C, higher than its desktop counterparts).

Edit: I should add, airflow is another factor. Mine intakes from the bottom and exhausts out the left side, which causes my palm rest to get even hotter.

Solution