Having trouble Choosing a laptop!

Jvass

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Sorry for format, copy and pasted off of the website. Which of these are better (Just the casual computer, a littlebit of everything for a college student..if the answer is none then please explain why, I'm open to more options!)

-Weight: Doesnt reallllly matter, the lighter the better (somewhere around 6 pounds)
I- want 1920x1080
-Price range is up to $1,100
-Battery life: 4 hours is fine, although the bonus of a 9 cell just sounds awesome.
-Better speakers is a plus! Not hugely important though
-A sleek looking laptop is important to me though, it's kinda holding me back from the HPs..it's not hugely important but it matters a bit.

A) HP Pavilion dv6t-7000
Operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
Graphics card NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB of dedicated video memory
Memory FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
Office software Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)
Hard drive 750GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Hard Drive Acceleration Cache NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
Security software No additional security software
Primary battery 30% off 9 cell Lithium Ion Battery
Display 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)
Primary optical drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
Personalization HP TrueVision HD Webcam
Networking 802.11b/g/n WLAN
Keyboard Backlit Keyboard with numeric keypad

Total for option A) $910 USD

B) Dv6z-7000
Operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M Accelerated Processor (3.2GHz/2.3GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
Graphics card 2GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7730M Graphics
Memory FREE Upgrade to 6GB 1600MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Office software Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)
Hard drive 750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Security software No additional security software
Primary battery 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery edit
Display 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)
Primary optical drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit
Personalization HP TrueVision Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone + HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader
Networking 802.11b/g/n WLAN
Keyboard Backlit Keyboard

Price option B) $900 (actually $980 with a free xbox)

C) Lenovo y580

D) N56VZ-RB71 ( http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0394503 )

Open to all suggestions! Not only these 4.

I don't realllly care about the price difference between them. Which is better? I love the the idea of beats audio and the 9 cell batteries, and finger swiper with the HPs. Those aren't huge deals though.

Thanks, I appreciate it!! I've been searching for laptops for about a month now and really can't decide! I wouldn't mind adding an SSD or something to a laptop either.

THanks again!

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
When you're considering laptops, you can't go strictly off hardware specs. You need to consider battery life, weight, screen quality, etc. If you answer the below questions, someone will be able to find you an excellent laptop.

1. What is your budget?

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

3. What screen resolution do you want?

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

5. How much battery life do you need?

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in?

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

thomasrogers

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
All other PC components being same the only point of differentiation is your HDD and that decision should be based on what you typically do on your laptop...

Since both HDDs come with a 32gig mSSD acceleration cache, that in itself will result in a serious performance improvement in startup and opening commonly used files, regardless of which HDD you get. The 7200rpm drive's faster I/O would be most noticeable when dealing with large files.

Of course the 7200rpm drive will produce more heat and consume more battery power than the 5400rpm drive so it's a really a question of whether you are typically copying/opening/saving large files. If not, you won't realize much of a performance advantage by getting the 7200rpm drive.
So like i said its the purpose which matters the most for your selection..........

Jvass

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
The CPU, Graphics card, and model are different.

And I didn't follow that form because I know the battery life, screen (1080, 15.6 inches) and weight were what I wanted.

Are those even good deals?

Thanks

Jvass

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I didn't even think of that. I just built a desktop that so I definitely don't need much gaming on the laptop. My only concern is that the dv6z-7000 series looks like it's made with bad quality =\ Is that true?

Thanks for the post!

dawknezz

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
Let's just say HP has some quality issues... But Hp does offer good prices.

It would have been nice if you had filled out the form so we know exactly what your looking for when suggesting laptops.

Now on to laptop hunting, I would suggest taking a look at the Dell Inspiron SE lineup. Not too expensive and you should be able to get $150-200 off. Also, the N56VZ is a great laptop, but you might not require these specs for a laptop!

New Inspiron 15R SE
New Inspiron 17R SE

jamk hdsaf

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
obviouly , y580 has the best spec in thoes option nomatter in the cpu or quality espicially in garphics card it use GTX 660 as i remember it almost the best gaming spec option according to your budget
and when it coems to the audio equipment y580 use the jbl bolby systrm which i think is also very good in addition, i do not hear bears product the laptop's audio
before the hp adopt this
and lenovo's product always have the best quality
that's why i choese it