Qosmio X300 getting hot hot hot

bluerotkev

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Trying to suss out whether or not 81 degrees is a little high when WEI is running on my newly refurbished Qosmio X300-11S

I've upgraded the graphics from the 9700M to the 9800M GT, I've changed the RAM to 8GB matched, I've also upgraded the CPU from the pants P8600 2.4GHZ to the rather decent Q9100 2.4GHZ Quad Core.

Core temp shows this CPU as a QX9100 Extreme (Penryn QC)

Something, somewhere isn't right.

screengrab.jpg

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
^^ Also did you check to see if the new cpu and vga card have the same thermal threshold. 9x out of 10 a new, faster cpu and/or vga card create more heat.which means if you have not changed the heantsink, which in a laptop you cant really anyway the only other option is a notebook cooling pad and hope it does the trick

bluerotkev

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Guess what? Numb nuts here didn't put on new thermal paste!?!? If you ask me why I couldn't tell you why! Does the name of the processor seem right to you? A Quad Core Extreme 9100?

bluerotkev

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
A pleasure. I came across it a few weeks ago from a car boot sale. If you're in the states its a Yard/Garage Sale. Anyway the guy told me it was a Q9100 so I paid and the rest as they say is history. The only problem is I can't OC it in any way shape or form. Could do with XTU to recognise my CPU, just waiting for DCC (Desktop Control Centre) to download then I shall try that!

So there you go, if anyone can shed light on this weird CPU, go for it. Google hasn't got much, cpu-world.com knows nothing and all the monitoring systems I own make it difficult to determine!!

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
I think you should keep it, but 81C is too high.. on the dangerous side. You should probably create a new discussion topic (not seeking a specific answer). That way we can discuss this before this thread gets locked.

bluerotkev

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Well I've been away for 3 hours. In that time I've stripped the Qosmio down, re applied new thermal ceramique on the GPU and CPU, soldered in a second fan and needless to say the temps are substantially lower. It's probably in need of a bake before optimum performance but an hour or two on Prime should sort that!

bluerotkev

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hehe thank you, been doing it for a while! Well theres a new thread setting off the hunt for the mysterious CPU! Thank you hpfreak and everyone else who have made it a warm welcome to a very good resource and an equally helpful forumhood!

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010

Your welcome, I look forward to seeing more of your mods in the future! ;)