Advice on laptop

Kompewtyr

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hey guys, I am looking for a laptop that I can take to school (and use at home) as it is a requirement now, and I have been searching a lot lately but I just can't seem to find the right one.

The laptop I hope for is in the price range of about $1000 - $1200 (I am flexible however), and I want it to be somewhat mobile, but also be able to play games decently.

I do not want to play games like BF3 or anything like that, I have a PC for that... but I want it to have the capabilities to play more casual games occasionally, e.g Minecraft, runescape, and all those other lighter games, but if perhaps I was bored at home and had the laptop plugged in I might want to play a more GPU intensive game such as Killing Floor, HL2 etc. (and all of these games I want to run at a smooth framerate on at least med settings)

Keep in mind I also need to use this for school, web browsing, maybe video making occasionally etc.

Here are some of the features I want in the laptop.

-somewhat kind of portability

-at least 750GB HDD

-boot SSD

-i7 cpu

-8GB RAM

-decentish GPU

-decent screen resolution

-EDIT- and a good battery life for typing notes and doing schoolwork whilst at school!

Thanks! :)

Bare in mind I am from Australia

Kompewtyr

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Thanks dude, I was actually looking at that laptop earlier today and was really interested in getting it, but I couldn't find it for sale in Australia anywhere! What you just told me made me more informed. Do you know how long it might take for it to be available in retail or online in Australia?

This might actually be the laptop that I end up getting :)

Pyree

Distinguished
It should be for sell in Australia but I don't think just yet (it says please call/email for stock availability).

Also, the price is ridiculous! (That's why I totally support the current government's inquiry into the pricing of software and electronics items).

http://shop.bestdeal4u.com.au/service/i/1854/n/Lenovo+IdeaPad+Y580+Laptop+i7-3610QM+15+6+FHD+1920x1080p+12GB+Ram+750GB+HDD.html

This is also the laptop I will like to eventually replace my current aging laptop. The other being MSI GE60 with GTX 660m, Clevo W370ET and Clevo P151EM1B. But they are over your budget (the MSI GE60 with GT 650m is within your budget thou).

http://www.affordablelaptops.com.au/contents/en-us/d314_msi-ge60-laptop-notebook.html

Pyree

Distinguished
Just a tip for you if you are fed up with the price and product range available in AUS and wants to import laptop.

Importing laptop over $1000 into Australia will include 10% GST (on total cost of items + transport and insurance + 5% customs duty) and on top of that is a 5% customs duty (which I recently find out :(). Total cost = (price of laptop + shipping cost and insurance + customs duty) x0.1 + price of laptop + 5% customs duty.