Battery help

kprime18

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Hi,

I have an issue with the battery on my asus eee pc. I removed my battery a while ago because I was going use it plugged in most of the time. When I put the battery back, it says unknown charge. I ran the battery like this for a few hours but then when i shut down my laptop wouldn't restart. So I plugged my laptop back on ac power, and now there's an x over the laptop icon, it says charging but again there's no charge %. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

I read that this could be indicative that the battery needs to be replaced but the last time I used it it was fine.

Thank you.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Lithium-ion batteries are unpredictable.. I've read articles from people saying that when not in use to keep in a bag in the freezer.. or just keep it in 24/7... idk.. My battery is also acting up.

kprime18

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Yeah I actually just kept it in a bag but not in the freezer. Ironically I did this to preserve the battery, looks like i was better off leaving it in :( .

I also had this problem before where after storing it and putting it back in the same thing happened but it was okay (I was able to see the charge % and no red x) after a few restarts. It appears to have happened this time as well as the charge % returned after a few reboots.

I guess I'll just leave it in and let it slowly go bad that way :pt1cable: .

Thank you for the reply. Also would appreciate any other suggestions.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
No problem, sorry I couldn't have helped any better. It just seems that the batteries are designed to deteriorate quickly… to force a consumer to invest in a new laptop quicker, or to spend $50-$100 on a genuine battery.