Compare hp vs dell vs toshiba vs asus

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
That's like saying - which is the best...?
Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, or Noble?

you can't possibly generalize and expect a meaningful answer, its just not possible without YOU letting us know what you intend to do with it and how much money you plan on spending, at the very least!

the great randini

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
asus - toshiba - dell/hp

hp and dell are about the same, cheap parts tons of bloatware.
some of the toshiba's with ssd are real nice, and i have worked on some with a nice way to restore it to default when users fiddle.
asus are very nice.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Out of those 4, ASUS and Toshiba are really good, with ASUS probably a bit higher. In fact, I would say that ASUS is probably the best laptop manufacturer in terms of hardware reliability and quality. Dell and HP work, but aren't great. I have never seen a Dell or HP laptop last more than a few years.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
and that's exactly what you get... ^^^^^^

heresay and biased posts that have absolutely no validity because there's no way to compare models that you are interested in, because you haven't given us any information.

Everyone has an opinion and used whatever manufacturer they chose to, for some reason or another, but that doesn't mean because that person had a bad experience, all people that have the Exact Same Model had the same experience.

Classic example is my own. I've owned several laptops from several manufacturers and by far the best that I Had was my Dell XPS M1530 that I bought in 2007 and I still use today that is faster than when I got it! Was I unhappy with it at times, yes, because of Windows Vista which came pre-loaded, but that had nothing to do with the technology of the hardware. With Windows 7 now installed and having added an SSD, it's faster than I could've imagined, 5 Years Later! But I'll clarify that Windows 7 was installed about a year after I purchased it, so it was the laptop to beat at the time.

What are you evaluating the quality of the Logo pasted on the laptop ?

HP doesn't make a laptop
Dell doesn't make a laptop
Toshiba doesn't make a laptop

Quanta makes laptops for all three..... so does Compal....so does Inventec ......could we expect HP's Quanta made unit to be better then Dell's Quanta made unit or Toshiba's Quanta made unit ?

That leaves Asus as the only actual laptop manufacturer in the bunch. I find users have good luck with them as long as the get the "base" CPU for the model and don't customize by adding a "CPU upgrade". The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM's) who slap a brand name on the the thing. Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP, Dell and Lenovo
Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP
Clevo sells to FalcolnNorthwest, Sager, Eurocom, WidowPC and many other "boutique" brands....including Alienware before Dell bought em.

You can buy a Clevo custom built laptop direct from a distributor for about 2/3 of the cost of what they are at the "boutique" shops. Service and support are distributor dependent and for the most part far better and personal than the big major brands.

www.xotiocpc.com is a good place to start

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

alexscore207

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

This is not true I atleast dell and Toshiba Ive own around 6 Toshibas and I've seen many dells and HPs in stores so those statements are not true sorry

Check your facts ..... I didn't say they don't sell them. I said they didn't "make it" aka "manufacture" it.

Just because you have owned them and they had a "Toshiba" sticker on it does not mean that Toshiba manufactured it. Most laptops manufacturers have about as much involvement in "making" laptops as Michael Jordan has in making Air Jordans.

Google is a wonderful tool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_laptop_brands_and_manufacturers

The vast majority of laptops on the market (94% in 2011) are manufactured by a small handful of Taiwan-based Original Design Manufacturers (ODM), although their production bases are located mostly in mainland China.[2]

Major relationships include:[3]

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP and Lenovo
Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP

HP ***buys*** their laptops from Quanta, Compal, Wistron, Inventec, Foxcon and Flextronics and RESELLS them to the public
Toshiba ***buys*** their laptops from Compaq, Compal, Inventec and Pegatron and RESELLS them to the public

nicotiniac

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Well I was going out to buy a HP probook 4540 in half an hour till I stumbled on this thread.now I am confused. Should I just buy the cheaper dell which would give me maximum punch for my money. Then if I am lucky it works n I recommend it after 3 yrs,or if otherwise , I shall be suggesting people to buy something else :(

teknobug

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Kinda necro thread, but hey things change.

In the nearly 20 years of using laptops I've gone through Acer, Asus, IBM, Dell, HP, Compaq, Toshiba, Sony, Lenovo, MSI, etc.

Acer - probably the best choice at the moment, no BS body design, great prices even with mid-range market.

Asus - very solid all around, usually good build quality.

Compaq - my very first laptop and lol boy was it a heavy motherf*, the mouse "ball" got dirty too often, carrying it in a bag hurt my shoulder because it weighed nearly 20lbs (excluding the power brick), was slower than the 486 I had at the time, and the screen was super hard to read.

Dell - I liked Dell for a while but can't say what they're like now.

Fujitsu - About the same as older Toshibas but wasn't slow.

HP - meh, worst body designs, I don't like slippery plastic builds, touchpad sucks. performance wise, they're decent, aside the stupid bloatware.

IBM - best laptops I've ever used, too bad Lenovo can't do quite the same.

Lenovo - ^, they're OK, but they're starting to seep into the low end laptop market.

MSI - probably the coolest gaming laptops available, and they made some pretty nice netbooks (I still like my Wind12 U230), their mid-range laptops keeps up with the decent quality Asus laptops.

Sony - as with almost every other electronic they distribute, they cut corners on features and sell for higher prices.

Toshiba - they're so-so, body design is on the weak side, but my current Satellite 3 year old is serving me well. The older Toshibas I had 10 years ago were sluggish.

So:
Low end: Acer or HP
Mid range: either Asus or Lenovo
High end (usually gaming): MSI or Asus
Ultrabook: Asus pretty much owns this

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS