Advice for deciding laptop(General Purpose + Multimedia/Gaming)

jaye3rd89

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
1. What is your budget? Prefer under 1k

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?17"+ preferred

3. What screen resolution do you want? One that fits the laptop's size lol :D

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable (replacing 2006 laptop)

5. How much battery life do you need? Best I can get but I'd say 90% of the time would be on charger

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? PSO2(Phantasy Star Online 2), Minecraft, Gamecube Emulator Dolphin, League of Legends (maybe), Star Wars: The Old Republic(maybe). HIGH settings would be wonderful if able.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? General Purpose (Internet,Work/School Work,etc) Photoshop,Sony Vegas (just for fun) Music,Video,etc

Generally the laptop will be mostly for multimedia/internet and playing games when able. Being able to play games on good graphics/settings would be HUGE bonus.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I'd prefer 750GB or more

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215410

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as possible

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? CD/DVD Read/Burner (unsure if correct technical term).....Bluray would be nice for potential possible fun projects but in no way needed

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I only have personal experience with HP and Toshiba so I'm not bias but would prefer a brand that specializes at multimedia/gaming laptops (similar to the Acer shown above)

13. What country do you live in? United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. N/A Additional Questions below

ADDITIONAL QUESTION:
1. The laptop mentioned above comes with 6GB of RAM max is 16GB iirc. Would it be recommended to buff the total to say 8GB or more?
2. Is there a huge difference between i5 and i7 in terms of performance and should it be taken into consideration?
3. Like #2, is 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen any drastic difference that should be taken into consideration?

I'd like to thank you guys in advance :wahoo:

jaye3rd89

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012

Since I currently have 15.2 now if able prefer to get 17.

I was able to get onto the link you mentioned and it's 899 just like the acer or so it says at the top "Starting at $899"

I did have question though.

From the looks of it (unless I'm reading it wrong)
They both have the same graphic except Acer's is 2GB DDR3 and the Sager is 1GB DDR5.

Wouldn't the Acer be better?
Idk the technical part behind memory so I apoligize if I'm misinformed.

jaye3rd89

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
The Acer, besides being out of stock, has a lesser quality screen.

1. Do you need an OS?
2. Do you need warranty?
3. bluray?
1. Prefer to have preinstalled (less hassle)
2. Yes...after all the unlikely hood can happen. I'm rather careful with computers but you never know.
3. Not needed at all but wouldn't mind if it did.

1GB vs 2GB barely makes a difference.
Overall the Acer is good but I prefer Sager because of having a better build quality.You can't go wrong with either

jaye3rd89

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
I have a question.
On the Acer one I showed (which I'm still consider getting seeing that spec/price wise seems to be actually alright similiar to the sager)

The Acer's Harddrive is at 5400rpm.
Is that bad?

jaye3rd89

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Looks nice.....
The acer one I showed I believe said Thad a dual driver support but according to reviews, it doesn't have the addition "caddy" (idk what that is) for the 2nd hdd or suppose a ssd instead...have to order it..
Doesn't seem time be an easy find