What to test on a laptop that got wet

Alex81

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Hi, I hope someone can help...Last night, my XPS L502X got wet, I left it next to an open window... and of course it rained while I was away, never felt so stupid before...

Anyway, I dryed it out the best I could and tried to start it up, (running on battery) but the screen stayed black, however a ll the LEDS, and even the backlit keyboard turn on, but nothing else happens. I tried to shut it off as soon as it didnt start and it took a couple of seconds of pressing the off button to shut off (as it normally would)

After that I decided to let it dry completely for a couple of days... so I wont try anything for a day or two... However I need to know... Do you guys think that the fact that the LEDS and Keyboard lights turned on is a sign that the MOBO is still working? Otherwise they wouldnt light up, right? right? Im hoping that the display is the one with the problem, so I will try the HDMI on my TV in a couple of days... any other ideas?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Remove the battery, and keep it unplugged. Consider wrapping the laptop in a thin cloth (tape it to secure it) and sticking the laptop in a bag full of dry white rice to absorb all the moisture (be sure to check that no rice got inside the laptop when done) . Alternatively, pull off any removable panels and whatnot, remove your CD drive hard drive, ram etc. and let individual pieces dry out.

In the end, it may not be salvageable. Typically the best procedure is to disconnect the power and battery and dry extremely thoroughly before attempting to power it up, if any moisture still exists when you power it up, it will short components and could cause damage; moisture doesn't cause damage until power is applied. The mobo may still be what fried, the LEDs will turn on even if it isn't fully functional unfortunately; but don't lose hope yet :)

Alex81

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
Thank you! Will do. I was hoping that the facts the leds were on was a good sign... oh well... anyhow i guess ill check if the MOBO is damaged and if that is the only part damaged. Ill see if i can find a new one, the laptop was only a year and half old and I think its worth to try to salvage it...

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

It may still come back to life with some more drying time, hopefully :). Just to give you an idea, you'll probably be looking at 200$ if you can buy the part from Dell (or a reseller) and repair it yourself, however not all manufacturers sell parts and you may be stuck sending it to them for repair which could leave you with a bigger bill yet.

You can also try eBay for the part, or for junked laptops of the same model, you just have to be cautious on what you're getting.