Switching to SSD After HDD Died

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Hi All,

I have an HP TM2T that I've grown to love over the last few years and this morning, the HDD died. I figured this is a perfect opportunity to switch over to a SSD (I was thinking the 256gb Crucial M4 or Samsung S3, whichever is cheaper). I have a handful of questions though.

I have the original key that came with my laptop but I don't have and Windows installation disks. Can I burn those from another machine and use them with my key? I don't want to pay for windows again.

My laptop doesn't have an optical drive, if I buy an external USB optical drive, can I use that to install Windows? Is there a better option?

Thanks!

Solution
Yes you should be able to download the ISO image for free. Double check to make sure your laptop's bios can support the SSD as well.

Yes you can install via USB.

DarkOutlaw

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Yes you should be able to download the ISO image for free. Double check to make sure your laptop's bios can support the SSD as well.

Yes you can install via USB.

Solution

centaurius

Honorable
May 2, 2012
"I have the original key that came with my laptop "

normally those keys can be used with a new installation, however I believe there is some requirement to activate (perhaps telephone confirmation ? ) windows using that key that comes with laptop...

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
As DarkOutlaw said, you're good to go - the OS key is the important bit. Chances are the SSD should be fine. For future, and as a good idea, try to get an imaging backup software (e.g. Acronis or Ghost) - they make a huge/massive/etc difference when reinstalling your OS partition/drive.

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

I would recommend downloading the ISO online and creating a bootable USB key. Easiest way I have found - you should be able to recycle your key