Acer ferrari one 200 overheating

Smitty_60

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I suspect my Aced Ferrari One 200 is overheating. Like others, it was working fine for about 2 years. Now it periodically shuts down. I've always used a ventilation try beneath the laptop. I opened the laptop up a bit, but found little dust. I wondered if there was a way to reduce the clock speed. (I never changed it from the factory setting.) The event log does not report over heating...what it reports is:

Event ID 41, The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Overheating (I've read) can be one cause for this error.

Would be indebted to all who assist.

Smitty_60

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Thank you for the suggestion. Was that 90 degrees Fahrenheit or Centigrade?

Because I have AMD processors, it turns out that the "Realtemp" program would not work, but I found a program called "Coretemp" that works with AMD. It's reporting temps of 55 to 58 decrees centigrade with a load of between 10 and 25%. The room temp is 70 degrees.

Because I use a separate keyboard and monitor anyway, I'm configured the laptop to allow even more air flow than the special stand its on provides.

It seems there are numerous "Afterburner" freeware product to choose from. One seemed to want to install Babylon ...which I don't want. Which one have you had best experiences with.

Thank you!

Smitty_60

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
The errors are not predictable by any application...and this computer is not used for gaming. Strangely, the problem often occurs when I leave my computer without placing it in the "hibernation mode." I'm mostly Microsoft Word, Excel, and also browsing on the web. The computer has 4gb of RAM and a dual core AMD, so I tend to keep a lot open for convenience.

Last night, I decided to remove the battery...I thought that the charging might be contributing to the issue...or at least holding in the heat. When I removed it, the battery itself was not especially hot, but the bottom of the laptop elsewhere was.

I have a current subscription to Norton 360, but I suspect there is some malware that is consuming CPU resource. I'll be running SpyBot etc. shortly.

I had been checking the event logs thinking that if overheating was the issue it would appear in the logs...but it didn't

Since making the various changes, the max temp has been 71 (C).

I really appreciate your leading me to the CoreTemp program. It's a nifty utility. I'm able to see how my usage affects temps.

Smitty_60

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Thanks,

For anyone else reading this, be sure to scroll down from the www.memtest.org site and select the correct download. DON'T click on the download button at the top of their website....it's not related to their product.

I'll report the results back in a few days.

G

Hi,

did you ever figure out what the issue was and how to fix it?

I am having the very same issue, to the letter.

Many thanks