Can I upgrade my whole MOBO (CPU, Video Card etc.) on a HP DV6

Raymond9000

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
From what I know, you can change your fans (gotta do that as my fan on my laptop sucks), and HDD. But can you completely upgrade your MOBO, CPU & Video Card to a newer one? My laptop is fine and all, but with a AMD Turion x 2 and AMD 4250, cannot really play a lot of games, and do some video editing/photoshop well.

If it is possible, what sites sells the parts?

ryanrich83

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I get asked these things every day.

You can search HP PartsSurfer for that series of dv6(dv6-1000,dv6-2000, etc.) You can find other dv6 configurations in that series split between Intel and AMD.

The parts "should" be compatible as it is the same series which means same socket and chipset of mobo.

However...

It is really not worth it to do this.

The parts are pricy, if they are available. You can find the part number and search online for cheaper prices, but the money is always better spent on a new laptop.

Newer, better hardware, newest operating system, plus a warranty covering for issues down the load.

Whenever buying a laptop, get the best CPU and GPU that is available at the time, because they are the hardest to upgrade(if at all) down the road. Go cheap with components like RAM and HDD because you can usually find cheaper upgrades elsewhere, like Newegg.

Raymond9000

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

I have 4GB RAM, and 500GB 5400RPM HDD, I am okay with it. I just wanna upgrade my MOBO pretty much to get either a new AMD CPU+ Video card.

ryanrich83

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Like me and xtreme5 advised, go with a new laptop.

Not very reasonable to upgrade the mobo, cpu, and gpu. Even if you did find a board that fits your series of dv6, the kinds of cpus and gpus you can upgrade to are limited and very expensive. You also run the possibility of losing functionality of other devices because of the ways the different mobos are laid out(memory card reader, etc...)

Much better investment to buy a new one.

Check out the dv6z-7000.

They have the newest Trinity based APUs, plus options to have a discreet Radeon 7000 series GPU installed to. Starts at $549 before upgrades.

ryanrich83

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Just searching for a dv6-2000 series laptop(which I think is what you have), all I can see are several different options for similar Turion 64 processors, and no upgrades for mobos.
The cpus average about $250 each, and if they are an upgrade to what you have, it is only a bump up of maybe 100 or 200 Mhz.

There are no gpus listed there either. Even if they were, you would have to take the laptop apart, desolder the gpu chips and install the new ones. The ones your board could upgrade to would be of the same 4000 series that you have.

Not worth it.