Toshiba laptop with random restarts

chun86

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Hello Gurus,

I have an Toshiba L305-S5883 Laptop running Windows 7 which has a problem where it restarts within a few minutes of the power adapter being plugged into the unit. When the laptop is unplugged, it has no problems and will continue on until the battery is drained, but I would prefer to be able to use the laptop plugged in as well.

Here are a couple of things I've noticed:
- When the power adapter is plugged in, there is a noticeable clicking noise, almost once every second if not slightly faster.
- When it is plugged in and on for a while, the laptop gets pretty darned hot
- The little itty-bitty fan is spinning whether the power adapter is plugged in or not
- The power adapter doesn't seem to be faulty. We have another toshiba laptop that uses the same plug type and doesn't seem to have the same issue and charges well.
- Laptop seems to have had this problem for a while, for almost a year. Then again, it hasn't been used for a year as well (It's my folk's laptop. My parents tend to ignore issues and buy new laptops... which might be the more elegant solution, but I got the itch to fix!)

I've looked online for a solution, but the closest I've seen to similar problems seem to be for the 'A' series laptops. This post over here: http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=63851 discusses the crappy stock cpu capacitor and need for replacement. Before I try anything as drastic as that, I'd like to know if it even has the same type of capacitor, or whether anyone else as experienced issues like this before.

I'm going to try to get a different power adapter from the store to see if that's the issue, but please, let me know if you guys have any input.

Thanks!

nhasian

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
it sounds like you definitely have a hardware problem. try to determine where that clicking is coming from. you may need to send the laptop in for repair, especially since its overheating.

Komomu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
clicking noise... only things that move in laptops are hardrives and exhaust fans. Check if it's overheating like the guy above me said

put like a book or something under the back of the laptop and have a fan constantly blow on it. and run chkdsk.exe to find any faults

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

lshachar

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Your problem is surely from the NEC/TOKIN 0E128 Proadlizer Capacitor. that is a surface mount capacitor on the underside of the CPU, and it causes exactly what you described. If you are able to perform SMD soldering, you can fix it yourself. (Or get someone to do it for you.)

since the thread is 1.5 years old, I suppose this info won't help you, but maybe someone else.

sunilget

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Mr. lshachar ,
I previously had a Toshiba satellite A300-1G3. It was restarting after few minutes of operation. sometimes it worked for more time before restarting, the hinges were also broken. I took it to a service technician and he told me something may be shot. he later told me that an SMD capacitor is the problem and he replaced it and charged me a lot. after working with it for few months I went abroad to work, I didn't take this laptop since the hinges were broken. I bought a new computer there and when I came back after 6 months and tried to turn this thing on had some issues, one was with the loose memory , which I fixed. After working for few minutes it restarted , then again and on.... , I kept it on without doing anything, the problem again, restarting. Is it really the capacitor the problem. I do computer software and little bit of hardware ( Desktop). I am also an amateur in electronics , used to do circuits, also some smd. I have also read that tantalum capacitors gets damaged and short when not in operation for few months.
help me fix

Stamos14

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
i have a problem too...my laptop does auto restarts at the very beggining of the windows...i send it to repair it and pluged in a new hard drive. as they said it was hard drive problem. but with the new one and new windows installed, after "welcome" message while windows are loading, it restarts again. But when i'm in safe mode it runs and never restarts....is it the graphics problem??

sunilget

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

Stamos14,
Is your Laptop Toshiba?
This problem is about toshib laptops. It has an NEC capacitor right under the Processor,
which usually get damaged and resulting in System restarting over and over.

Mine has this replaced by a system technician last year. but now i have this problem again
and I searched the web and found the solution.

I recommend you to check online on some other site http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8991&
and find the solution

anaoos

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

yes, it is woks for me ... thank you man