Laptop Cooling Pad

thereconcheck

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
My laptop has been overheating and effecting my game play on various games. I really need to purchase a nice laptop cooling pad.

I don't really know too much about them but I'm pretty sure this one would work. Could you all verify this for me?

Here are my laptops dimensions: 16.14"x11.77"x1.75".
Type: Asus Notebook G72GX Series

I am looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...101&pf_rd_p =470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Is this a good buy for what I need?

Solution

If the laptop will forever live on the cooling pad, then it'll be ok, actually the best. BUT if something happens to bump against a resitor on a board and breaks it off, your SOL.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Your laptop could be overheating because the internal fan is clogged with dust. You can pick up a can of compressed air and blow it through the fan intake to blast the dust out of there. If you do remove a lot of dust that way it'll do more for you than a cooling pad.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I would take your fan assembly out of your laptop before blowing it with compressed air - or at least disconnect it from the power connector. You would not want to backfeed power and blow the port, and then have to get a new motherboard.

thereconcheck

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Nevermind, I delicately took the back off and delicately took the dust off from the cover case and the fan with a soft tissue.

0722122315a.jpg

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
There should be some screws under the laptop, it should be a matter of checking which ones will disconnect the chassis and then use the compressed air.

I can definitely say that a cooling pad helps. My girlfriend has an Alienware M14x and it would get really hot and noisy. But now with the pad, just a cheap one from a local store, it hardly needs to spin the graphics fan right up.

EDIT: Perfect, if it looks clean and still heats up too much, the cooling pad should help alot.

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
There shouldn't be. I recommend installing GPU-Z and monitor your temperatures and fan speed while playing a game. If you can report back some numbers, we can dig a little further. If it's staying under 85 degrees C, there should be no worries.

thereconcheck

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012

How do I figure out my temperatures?

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
It's hard to tell from the picture you posted, but is the heatsink for the video card on the left above the processor? The reason I ask is because it's going to be hard to drop those temps dramatically. I'm suggesting you figure out how to remove that heatpipe and fan to replace the TIM on both the video card and processor. The second suggestion is to cut strips of holes, if they don't exist, in the panel that you removed in order to take the picture. You can use a dremel with a cutoff wheel. You're going to need some serious airflow over those parts to drop the temps to a respectable 70C.

thereconcheck

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I really wish I knew how to do all this just off of personal knowledge, but I don't. I really don't want to mess up my laptop so I don't know if I feel comfortable doing indepent work to it. If worst comes to worst I can always attempt a few tasks, but I would really need a step by step tutorial on doing so.

I ordered the cooler pad last night and should have it by Thursday or Friday. I'll keep you all updated if it fixes the problem or not.

So, is it my Graphics card that is overheating? Or what.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

Yes, you can see from the screen grab you posted under the Graphics section - your video card is at 90Celcius, which is Very High

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
What BIOS are you running? and what video driver version?
Click on "Start" > "All Programs" > "Accessories" > "System Tools" > "System Information"
Click on “Display” under “Components” in the left hand side.
Let me know the “Adapter Type” and “Driver Version”