Can I use a 65W adaptor instead of recommended 90W for my HP laptop?

geeky_girl

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Hello,
My power adaptor went out from my HP HDX laptop, and I have a spare adaptor that is a 65W - also an HP. Will I hurt the laptop to use the 65W for a few weeks until I get a new 90W adaptor?

Solution
If its the same voltage, then you can use it. But if you are using more power then it can provide, your laptop will start drawing from the battery as well as from the power brick. So try not to do anything that use more than 65w (like gaming, which will definitely max out the power draw and go over 65w) if you want continuous usage. Battery will also take longer to charge, which is not necessarily a bad thing (using less amp and longer time to charge a battery can prevent overheating). Keep your laptop on the low power profile for the next two week until the 90w power brick arrive.

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
No, you may simply find your battery might not charge as fast as normal, and the device may get quite hot if you're really working your laptop hard.
It is not a worry at all.

Here's what you should do to ensure using it won't damage anything. First make sure the output voltage is the same - if it is not, do not use it. If the output voltage is the same, use it only to charge the laptop battery but do not attempt to run the laptop on the power adapter power, unplug it first. Note that it will take quite a bit longer to charge than before.
Hope it helps

Pyree

Distinguished
If its the same voltage, then you can use it. But if you are using more power then it can provide, your laptop will start drawing from the battery as well as from the power brick. So try not to do anything that use more than 65w (like gaming, which will definitely max out the power draw and go over 65w) if you want continuous usage. Battery will also take longer to charge, which is not necessarily a bad thing (using less amp and longer time to charge a battery can prevent overheating). Keep your laptop on the low power profile for the next two week until the 90w power brick arrive.

Solution

geeky_girl

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

Thanks to everyone that replied and gave me advice - at least I feel like I'm not going to burn my laptop out!