Casual gaming laptop mainly for college

thenommer15

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
1. What is your budget?

No more than 600$

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15.6 or 17.3

3. What screen resolution do you want?

somewhere between 1440×900 and 1920×1200

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Its college so I plan to take notes with this. Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?

At least 5 hours preferably more

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Some possible Starcraft 2 at at least medium settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

word processing, web browsing, and since im in Computer Engineering and Computer Science I may be required to use autocad (maybe).

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

At least a 320GB 7200rpm

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

tigerdirect.com, newegg.com, anything with a great price for the specs

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

most likely 4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

standard dvd read write (maybe)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I like Acer for their solidly built laptops, I like Asus because I have been using a Asus UX50V for the past 4 years and I like their backlit keyboards (but the battery died on me and it totally sucks to game on)

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I would prefer the max RAM it can hold to be 8GB of at least 1333MHz speed. If it comes with 4GB as one chip ill just upgrade it.
Im liking the 2nd gen Core series from intel but im hesitant to settle for an i3. I think it isnt powerful enough for what i require and i think i should have and i5 at least. Please give me some advice on that and if the budget allows i would like to have dedicated graphics. Also is the intel HD 4000 good enough for what i need or is dedicated the only way to go, because dedicated Gcards really rack up the price.

Thank you guys. please help in any way possible.

thenommer15

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Thanks, but exactly what kind of specs? like frequency?

Where did you hear that? Win 7 Pro edition has no 'extra' features over Win7 Home Premium that affect WiFi networking capability.