Why Apple Laptop is so expensive?

vish22

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hi

Looking to purchase a good configuration Laptop, recently checked laptops from Apple and HP
I don't need to any measure s/w to run
Apple is coming with Macintosh OS and i7 processor
But its almost in double price
so why they are so expensive? Its only brand name or features are better than other brands

thanks

Solution
You are paying for a lot of things, one of them is design. for example, if you want a complete white notebook, top to bottom, including the keys, the white macbook would be your only choice. Some old notebooks from apple had transluscend parts also.

Anohter thing you are paying for is hardware inovation. They do have thunderbolt, Retina Display and a advanced touchpad that makes you nod need a mouse to operate the computer. You are also paying for their exclusive software, like OS X, iLife and iCloud, Dashboard, Eposé, Spaces and now Mission Control

Now, if you compare an Apple notebook to a non-apple of the same price, the specs on the apple notebook will be way inferior. However that doenst mean the apple computer runs slower then...

ulysses35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
you are paying for the name "apple" - despite the fact that many other cheapers brands offer a higher spec. Its the way Apple works, they seem to think the name is worth the money. As an example compare the ASUS ultrabook laptop to the a mac book air.... and the price performance will be huge

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

That's a very good question. My guess is that apple fanbois have too much money and not enough sense.

vish22

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
thanks for your replies

One thing more want to add that what difference is between Macintosh and windows
I never used Macintosh but people say its risk free from virus and Apple gives long life performance
otherwise if I calculate for best RAM,HDD,PROCESSOR then other brands giving same in less price in fact, very low price

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

Biggest difference is the OS

Once upon a time this was true, however, apple have been vulnerable to virus attacks for some time now. However, all that said, they are still very good, stable machines.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Anyone who prefers Apple over Windows based machines anymore by making statements like you are hearing is doing so for one, and only one reason. Ignorance.

Over the past several years, Apple has moved towards standard PC hardware, so that the only real difference is the OS its self. Its really just a question of preference of the OS, and Windows and Mac OS's are becoming more and more similar all the time.

vish22

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
which performs good ? and if we go for s/w and other applications
are they easily available for Mac also as its for windows

And is it good enough difference to spend money, Difference I am talking about in my currency is....
If Apple is coming of 78 k then other brands giving it in 40 to 50k
so its a big difference I guess
so keen to know, as its long term investment also

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
in my mind the only reason to get an apple product is for the higher resolution display. PCs are better in every other way. price, performance, options, upgradability, repairability, recyclability. and im sure there are a few things i cant think of. personally i perfer windows 7 over mac OS and i like win 8 even more for devices with a touchscreen.

Apple laptops are expensive because you are paying for the name and the privilege to run Mac OS. No other brand officially runs Mac OS.

Is Mac OS better than Windows? That's debatable. However, Macs get infected less often than Windows PCs and laptops. But that's mainly because the vast amount of computers and laptops runs Windows.

If you were to design a virus / trojan / malware would you rather design one that affects 90% of all computers or 10% of all computers?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
You are paying for a lot of things, one of them is design. for example, if you want a complete white notebook, top to bottom, including the keys, the white macbook would be your only choice. Some old notebooks from apple had transluscend parts also.

Anohter thing you are paying for is hardware inovation. They do have thunderbolt, Retina Display and a advanced touchpad that makes you nod need a mouse to operate the computer. You are also paying for their exclusive software, like OS X, iLife and iCloud, Dashboard, Eposé, Spaces and now Mission Control

Now, if you compare an Apple notebook to a non-apple of the same price, the specs on the apple notebook will be way inferior. However that doenst mean the apple computer runs slower then the windows. As they run diferent OSs, the right way to compare is putting them side by side and run tests. The Apple is faster. Moreover, they are also more recyclability, as they retaint their retail value really high for resalle. So once you get the ball spinning, changing hardware is acutally way chepaer on the Mac side. Just do the math..

Solution

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
PCs of similar build quality are almost as expensive as most of Apple's notebooks (excluding the Retina Mac Book).

PCs are often cheaper because they cost less to make. For example, one thing holding back ultrabook adoption is that they had to be as expensive as the Macbook Air because the aluminium case was so expensive. Intel has since discovered a way to make ultrabooks out of plastic so prices should come down.

vish22

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
hi

thanks for your replies guys

But I am comparing Apple Laptop to other laptops like from HP and Dell

I am not comparing it with PC

And thanks again for your valuable comments and just guide me for laptops only
and yes it will be used by a guy who will only use it for internet or basic computers
that's why price is main concern and he is confused by dealers's offers :p

austinwillis81

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Also I don't know if this is true but apparently the new MBP's "Retina Display" default resolution is 1440x900. And can only be set up to 1920x1200 in the options and that if you want it to display 2880x1800 you have to download a third party software.