PS2 Backwards Compatibility Could Make Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Didn't know that the PS3 was so modern that it couldn't handle older games. Guess it has to do with programing and all that stuff, but interesting that technology has advanced so much that the PS2 fits in now in another console., it's a pitty they took the PS2 support out.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Cmon Sony, you think people are going to drop thier versions of PS3 and buy another one? Why not do all software emulation. God knows the current PS3 hardware can handle it, it just depends out good your damn programmers are.... Dont know about you guys but this is annoying

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
They should make an elite version for enthusiast. An SSD and 4 GBs of Ram, Better Direct X 11 Graphics Card like a GTX 460 with more HDMI connections for 2 or 3 screen heaven. Maybe a Blu-ray burner and wireless N. I know it sounds ridiculous and stupid, but if I could crank the graphics up on my games, life would be better and I would buy one.

Just make a limited run Like Asus does with the Mars and Ares Cards

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Jeez... Kinda a slap in the face now to do this so late in the game, as gamers have probably forgoten about their old titles or gotten rid of them by now.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
pcsx2 has made so much progress that on a phenom ii x2 I can run most games with no problems. And that's an emulator that has been developed using backwards engineering from game demos, for free. How hard can it be for Sony to put 20 programmers to do a good emulator? I'm sure that the PS3 CPU can handle it, MS have done it quite good. I played a couple of XBOX games on my 360 and they work great.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]lasaldude[/nom]They should make an elite version for enthusiast. An SSD and 4 GBs of Ram, Better Direct X 11 Graphics Card like a GTX 460 with more HDMI connections for 2 or 3 screen heaven. Maybe a Blu-ray burner and wireless N. I know it sounds ridiculous and stupid, but if I could crank the graphics up on my games, life would be better and I would buy one.Just make a limited run Like Asus does with the Mars and Ares Cards[/citation]
Buy a PC. Just for a few exclusives, it's not worth it.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
So wait...they are going to reintroduce the ps3 fat?then it really would do everything again....if they bring back other os too.I would buy a brand new redesigned fat if they made one. Can't stand the slims, I have friends with those that keep dying! This may just be a legal move to sue anyone that releases a homebrew emulator that runs on the hacked firmware....

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Really Sony? You need to throw hardware in there to be backward compatible? Are your programmers really that terrible they can't handle software emulation on your "super" console?

This must be why the Cell processor didn't get adopted for anything other than PS3 like was planned.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I've got a great device for backwards compatiblity. Its called a PS2.
Who is going to buy this hardware when you can pick up a PS2 and mod it to run backups for less than £100

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I do not think the backwards compatibility is all that great. I still have my PS2 and will keep that in my bed room for extra play, but I also have the PS3 in the living room for everyone else's enjoyment. I for one will not go out and upgrade my PS3 just for regression play.

rockhome6

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
i think this is to fight the jailbreaker's. PS2 emulator was in works and they know it is a showstopper..and the best way to avoid it is by introducing it in the console legally :)

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]lasaldude[/nom]They should make an elite version for enthusiast. An SSD and 4 GBs of Ram, Better Direct X 11 Graphics Card like a GTX 460 with more HDMI connections for 2 or 3 screen heaven. Maybe a Blu-ray burner and wireless N. I know it sounds ridiculous and stupid, but if I could crank the graphics up on my games, life would be better and I would buy one.Just make a limited run Like Asus does with the Mars and Ares Cards[/citation]

It sounds like a cool thing from a customer perspective, but the cost JUST to make a whole different design is pretty significant, not to mention adding all that high end stuff.

You might have trouble justifying to the Sony board of directors why you want to create a new design that less than 1% of your customer base MIGHT buy... if they somehow have so far lived their life without knowing what a PC is.

G

i still have my ps2 and all my games for it, set up right next to my ps3. but it would still be nice to be able to use the wireless controller

Status
Not open for further replies.