Which combination of CPU's and GPU's is better?

anoobbuilder

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Still on a hunt to find the best laptop for my money. So in terms of gaming, in what order do these combinations come in, I'll also mention the price.

Combination 1: Costs £329.99
CPU - Intel Core™ i3-380M Dual Core 2.53 GHz
GPU - Dedicated ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 with 1GB Dedicated RAM
3GB ram 320gb HDD

Combination 2: Costs £329.99
CPU - AMD A6-3420M Quad Core 1.5GHz (turbo boost up to 2.4ghz)
GPU - Integrated AMD Radeon HD 6520G
4GB ram 500gb HDD

Combination 3: Costs £375.99 - could possibly stretch my budget this far but only if it's worth it
CPU - AMD A6-3420M Quad Core 1.5GHz (turbo boost up to 2.4ghz)
Dedicated (AMD Radeon HD 7670M) - but from what I've heard you can use crossfire for dual gpu to combine this card with the built in AMD Radeon HD 6520G
4GB ram 500gb HDD

All opinions are appreciated, thanks :)

Hi :)

I own computer shops and a laptop repair company in the UK...

Honest answer....

Add another £1000 and you will get a reasonable GAMING laptop....

For under £400 you will get NOTHING you could call a gaming laptop...

For that sort of money you will get 10 times the gaming performance from a gaming PC which you can build yourself...

All the best Brett :)

anoobbuilder

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

With all due respect, I've done lots of interweb browsing in the past week and this information is completely untrue. The majority of Laptops I've seen under £400 have been able to manage to run some of the high demanding games smoothly. I'm sure the ones I listed above can, it's just a matter of which one wins which is what I asked in this topic.
Thanks nonetheless

anoobbuilder

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
the first one is a very good offer. However, 3GB ddr3 means that it might not be in dual channel mode (altough it might not change anything)
I suggest that you save the extra 50 euros and buy some ssd with them.

Yeah I thought so too, however there's 1 in stock as it's a clearance sale and the chances are I probably won't get it in time, however I will try too. If not, do you think that its worth paying the extra money for the £376 laptop with that radeon 7670m card or I could manage quite well with the £330 with just the built in radeon 6520g

anoobbuilder

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

Thanks a lot!! that's made it clear for me.
Because the i3 setup is a good balance I will try to get that. If i miss the opportunity then I'll just spend a bit more for the 7670M.

Hi :)

Look, I SELL laptops from £300 to over £2000 in my shops....

My best advice is to look at the MINIMUM requirements for whatever games you plan on playing and then look at both those lappies specs.... BEFORE YOU BUY ONE....as NEITHER is going to play ANY action type game on anything but LOW...and most will just be a slide show :(

So I repeat CHECK BEFORE you buy....

What you dont want to do is buy a lappy and then say...oh dear it wont play my games...check before....

All the best Brett :)

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

+1 to Brett!!!

I owned a similar laptop to the ones you are suggesting, mine had dedicated HD5470 (overclocked and air intake holes drilled out larger) and a phenomII 2.4 GHz cpu. I also thought I could game at low resolutions but even older titles like Fallout were barely playable even at reduced resolutions (which defeated the point of having an awsome LED 17.3" screen) It was too painfull to play on so it sat on a shelf until I sold it to someone else. If you dont mind playing at 1280x800 it might work for you, but not me.

A sandybridge i3/H61 Motherboard and a cheap Radeon HD6770 would be the base of a cheap gaming PC, and blow any comparably priced laptop out of the water.

Fungi

Fungi

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

<sarcasm>Yeah, you're right, Farmville is really demanding.</sarcasm> It's simply not true that a laptop with any of those specs can play modern games like BF3 with anything close to playable framerates with average settings. The only possible way would be to drop all the settings to the lowest possible levels and turn off most of the special quality features, if that would even work. To be honest, it's not worth playing with such low quality settings, and you might as well just go out and get an Xbox 360 to play your games in that case.

I made that same mistake as you because I thought that the 'gaming' laptop I bought would run any game I wanted well, but it didn't and I spent a lot of money in the process.

anoobbuilder

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

I've seen videos of games running at brilliant (or atleast well playable) fps that I intend on buying this laptop for, perhaps I exaggerated when I said "high demanding" games, maybe I should of said is modern/2012 games but nonetheless it's true